Circa's move from 'EqualVision' to 'Unsigned' to 'Atlantic' to 'Self Released' to 'Sumerian Records'

• Please log in to reply
279 replies to this topic

#21 mary.

mary.

I'm Tiger Woods

• Key Member
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:21 AM

I always thought Equal Vision was a good fit as well.

But everyone grows and moves on.....or doesn't renew their contracts.

Hopefully what ever label they choose (or have already chosen) to go with allow them the same artistic freedom without costing them much.

QUOTE(monty @ Sep 9 2008, 04:17 PM) View Post
RD jr. played a black guy so you know he has a fat dick.

#22 Marlii

Marlii

llama

• Key Member
  • 4,073 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:24 AM

OHAY CHRIS WALLA!  :rotfl:
sup.

#23 Kevin

Kevin

I'm Tiger Woods

• Key Member
  • 4,952 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:38 AM

View PostíMary!, on Aug 9 2008, 09:15 AM, said:

I always thought Equal Vision was a good fit as well.

But everyone grows and moves on.....or doesn't renew their contracts.

Hopefully what ever label they choose (or have already chosen) to go with allow them the same artistic freedom without costing them much.
I think a lot of the reason they were on Equal Vision was to finish up the contract This Day Forward signed and never fulfilled because they broke up after one album on EVR.

I really liked them on EVR because they had a lot of freedom and were able to do all sorts of tours and stuff and get their name out there.

#24 backrightpocket

backrightpocket

I Don't Post Much

• 136 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:15 AM

i thought i read in an article that they may be going to Atlantic.

#25 @lexis

@lexis

the stonehearted man

• 864 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:27 AM

for one reason i always thought equal vision wasn't the right record label for them, whatever is good for them as long they keep it real son
....Holding Someone's Mandala Back.
last.fm

#26 Edward Whelan

Edward Whelan

• 152 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:39 AM

View Postexcuses, on Aug 9 2008, 02:35 AM, said:

I always thought Equal Vision was a good fit for them. One of the more successful indie labels out there.

I thought the same thing. I also like a lot of the bands that are with EVR, so hopefully they'll pick a good new label.

The most exciting part of this is what the new label might do for them. Maybe we'll get more CS vinyl, an EP or two, or better tours. Then again, it might be crap. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

#27 DynamiteWithALaserBeam

DynamiteWithALaserBeam

the shittiest person on earth

• Key Member
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:16 AM

i know that straylight run is releasing a new digital ep by themselves soon. circa survive could be thinking about doing the same thing.

#28 Batman

Batman

does it depress you, to know just how alone you really are?

• Key Member
  • 10,977 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:20 AM

i hope they don't release an EP. release an album.

#29 btbam318

btbam318

• 267 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:42 AM

Like said befure, I don't really think it mattes what label you're on so long as they have the distribution and promotion deals down pat. Other than that, it depends on what producer you work with. Like Thursday's newest album, it wasn't that well recieved because they worked with this other producer who just overcompresses the shit out of everything. (Apparently he's known as the "distortion" producer. Go figure!)

They've actually expressed interest in doing a self-produced album, which'd just entail hiring an engineer to get the right sounds they're looking for and shit. I really doubt their next record is going to go "downhill." They're all great musicians in their own right and great artists so I feel like anything they put out I'm going to dig. We just kinda have to sit tight until the end of Anthony's tour cause they aren't going to be too active outside of the two dudes at home writing and stuff. But seriously, have you heard Cowboy Jam? Hot damn.

Just my opinion, though.

#30 clarelvs

clarelvs

I Don't Post Much

• 113 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:26 AM

^ agreed.

#31 thoughtshark

thoughtshark

SHARK ATTACK!

• 761 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 12:01 PM

View Postbtbam318, on Aug 9 2008, 11:36 AM, said:

Like said befure, I don't really think it mattes what label you're on so long as they have the distribution and promotion deals down pat. Other than that, it depends on what producer you work with. Like Thursday's newest album, it wasn't that well recieved because they worked with this other producer who just overcompresses the shit out of everything. (Apparently he's known as the "distortion" producer. Go figure!)

They've actually expressed interest in doing a self-produced album, which'd just entail hiring an engineer to get the right sounds they're looking for and shit. I really doubt their next record is going to go "downhill." They're all great musicians in their own right and great artists so I feel like anything they put out I'm going to dig. We just kinda have to sit tight until the end of Anthony's tour cause they aren't going to be too active outside of the two dudes at home writing and stuff. But seriously, have you heard Cowboy Jam? Hot damn.

Just my opinion, though.
Anthony and Nick could write on the tour.

Idk, this is kind of sad because I thought EVR was a perfect fit for Circa

#32 chris luke

chris luke

bitch made

• Key Member
  • 7,352 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 12:14 PM

View Postlolwut, on Aug 9 2008, 01:55 PM, said:

Anthony and Nick could write on the tour.
They're not writing and won't be till after the tour at the earliest.

As far as labels go, who cares? Stop crying about it if you are. Labels are going to be pretty much dead outside of the vinyl collection community in a few years.

#33 -ben

-ben

Dog Pound Nation

• Key Member
  • 5,163 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 05:01 PM

I like McTernan, but OLG and Juturna sound a little too similar.  Mixing it up would (probably) not be a bad thing.  Label-wise, I could see them being a good fit on Triple Crown.  If they go major, no biggie, as long as they don't get on Island.  I fucking hate Island.  I can't see them going major for some reason though.  It just seems weird.  Not bad though.

I think it'd be sweet if they worked with Matt Squire to be honest, or Mike Sapone, as gay as it sounds, I love that Long Island sound.

But yeah, I can't see the Circa guys selling out, so I've got no worries, as fond as I am of EVR

Oh yeah, they are writing btw.  I forget who said it, but apparently they're sending parts back and forth.  And Brendan's on the tour too, right?

Can we have confirmation Colin or Steve?

#34 chris luke

chris luke

bitch made

• Key Member
  • 7,352 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 05:17 PM

They haven't done anything writing wise, well not together at least, so I think it's safe to say that they haven't sent anything to each other. And just because they're leaving EVR does not mean McTernan will NOT be producing the upcoming record. OLG was the only EVR album he's produced in the past two years.

McTernan is the best fit because he's worked with them, and I feel he has an idea on what they want, OLG and Juturna do not sound the same production wise. Anyone that says OLG and Juturna sounds the same really should get their ears checked. Plus he's produced amazing albums (Hot Water Music, The Loved Ones, Converge, Thrice, and The Movielife). Even if he doesn't produce and they're not on EVR, realize that it doesn't matter. They're the same dudes, it's not like this is a line up change with a new personality. They'll know what they want no matter who's behind the board or who's working behind the scenes.

The label does not matter, it never mattered when it came to the music that was being put out. They could be on Fueled by Ramen or Island / Def Jam and still produce the music, but unfortunately some kids will whine and complain. The label "changing the sound" is all perception. Perception =/= reality. Stop worrying about it so much, because like I said, they're the same 5 dudes.

#35 -ben

-ben

Dog Pound Nation

• Key Member
  • 5,163 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 05:42 PM

View Postchris luke, on Aug 9 2008, 07:11 PM, said:

They haven't done anything writing wise, well not together at least, so I think it's safe to say that they haven't sent anything to each other. And just because they're leaving EVR does not mean McTernan will NOT be producing the upcoming record. OLG was the only EVR album he's produced in the past two years.

McTernan is the best fit because he's worked with them, and I feel he has an idea on what they want, OLG and Juturna do not sound the same production wise. Anyone that says OLG and Juturna sounds the same really should get their ears checked. Plus he's produced amazing albums (Hot Water Music, The Loved Ones, Converge, Thrice, and The Movielife). Even if he doesn't produce and they're not on EVR, realize that it doesn't matter. They're the same dudes, it's not like this is a line up change with a new personality. They'll know what they want no matter who's behind the board or who's working behind the scenes.

The label does not matter, it never mattered when it came to the music that was being put out. They could be on Fueled by Ramen or Island / Def Jam and still produce the music, but unfortunately some kids will whine and complain. The label "changing the sound" is all perception. Perception =/= reality. Stop worrying about it so much, because like I said, they're the same 5 dudes.

haha dude I'm not worried at all, I tried to make that clear.  OLG and Juturna are different records but they still feel like they were mixed the same and what-not.  Sonically, I can't tell the difference, but the music itself is very different.  Like I said though, I like McTernan.

A label definitely could fuck their shit up.  I doubt they'd let that happen though.

http://www.absolutep...ad.php?t=462491
how reliable that is I don't know, but it sounds very possible.  And you can't really make that shit up.

#36 chris luke

chris luke

bitch made

• Key Member
  • 7,352 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 05:46 PM

As far as I've been told from Nick, no real writing has been done, after the Thrice tour they've kinda taken a break... and gone to amusement parks!

And any label that wants to sign these dudes would have to give them artistic freedom, meaning they can't touch anything music wise. So no, a label cannot and will not fuck a band up. Label's RARELY fuck anything up.

#37 -ben

-ben

Dog Pound Nation

• Key Member
  • 5,163 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 05:49 PM

Haha sweet, well either way we'll find out soon enough.  No matter what happens we can all count on this band being the same band, I think that's why we're all here.

I still want some kind of comment from the band.  Just for good measure.

#38 epoque

epoque

james is gonna rob will less.

• Key Member
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 05:51 PM

I hope they do release an ep that way we can have more tunes from them

#39 chris luke

chris luke

bitch made

• Key Member
  • 7,352 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 05:53 PM

View PostEpoque, on Aug 9 2008, 07:45 PM, said:

I hope they do release an ep that way we can have more tunes from them
Why release an EP when they can just release a full album? Seriously...

#40 -ben

-ben

Dog Pound Nation

• Key Member
  • 5,163 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 05:55 PM

Meh, I'll take whatever I can get.  Two EPs in the span of time it would take to put out a full record would be okay with me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users