Circa's move from 'EqualVision' to 'Unsigned' to 'Atlantic' to 'Self Released' to 'Sumerian Records'

• Please log in to reply
279 replies to this topic

#261 Elia

Elia

many moons

• Key Member
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

If that's true, then why do this without Atlantic backing them financially?
Posted Image

#262 September

September

ninja incognito

• Site Admin
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:05 PM

View PostElia, on 03 July 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

less hands grabbing at the back end?
idk.

i'm sure whatever amount advance a record label gives for recording/mastering/pressing/distribution gets recouped first and then some.
maybe it's like a loan with a high interest rate. maybe too high.
maybe they charge too much for promotion. idk.
so many maybes.

#263 Roy Batty

Roy Batty

• 302 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:48 PM

This band always seemed to have a good head on its collective shoulders.  I feel as if this may have been somewhat of a blueprint of a plan from the beginning of signing with Atlantic records given a long term outlook on recent trends in the music business.  The fact that in addition to being in the industry and exposed to the business for however long with circa's stuff ( and even before with This Day Forward) , and Anthony and Colin both having their own other projects to tend to, lends to the bands credibility on the subject.  The band just seems very wise with their decisions thus far.

If this ends up working for them, and I do have a feeling it will, I know they will probably continue down this road.  Imagine the extra money to be made without having a label who never really cared about anything beyond reaping the benefits in the first place.  Cut out the middleman I say.

There is no way I could know anything about anything anyone else other than myself has experienced so the last thing I want to do is put words in their mouth, though.
Posted Image

#264 ߣR

ߣR

▪ ▪ ▪

• Key Member
  • 8,343 posts
  • Interests:art, drawing
  • defkids

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:55 PM

View Postkevinb, on 03 July 2012 - 08:38 AM, said:

I could be wrong but i'm almost certain that was one of the things they made sure they had prior to signing the contract was complete creative control.

View PostElia, on 03 July 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

it's not true. They have been given a lot of freedom to create the music they want to write, but at the same time they still had to fight for some songs to get on the last record like fever dreams. Full artistic control means they control the outcome of the final product regardless of what the label thinks. There are only a few artists who get to do this because labels know whatever they make will sell globally. I really don't think circa has that type of freedom yet. But this move they're making might be really good for them to make that next step.

#265 September

September

ninja incognito

• Site Admin
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:01 AM

View PostRoy Batty, on 30 June 2014 - 06:51 PM, said:

someone asked anthony on twitter if the new album would be independently released and he said "we might need help with this one. want everyone to hear it."

Posted Image

maybe they pulled VW from spotify because theyre shopping around LP5 and VW to labels as a packaged deal.

#266 FaiNt

FaiNt

kobe sucks

• 809 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:46 PM

Well anthony has said he wants to be able to reach a large audience with this release.. a label is the way to go for that

#267 Roy Batty

Roy Batty

• 302 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:26 PM

View PostSeptember, on 05 August 2014 - 08:01 AM, said:

Posted Image

maybe they pulled VW from spotify because theyre shopping around LP5 and VW to labels as a packaged deal.

pretty interesting. we need news stat!
Posted Image

#268 ߣR

ߣR

▪ ▪ ▪

• Key Member
  • 8,343 posts
  • Interests:art, drawing
  • defkids

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:32 PM

Haha weird coincidence I checked this out today because I was trying to listen to VW thru spotify on the way to work. Couldn't find it of course

I think some of the peeps in circa are not fans of the idea of Spotify from what I remember Brendan tweeting one day. This was a long time ago tho

#269 September

September

ninja incognito

• Site Admin
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:23 PM

View PostᜏR, on 07 August 2014 - 03:32 PM, said:

I think some of the peeps in circa are not fans of the idea of Spotify from what I remember Brendan tweeting one day. This was a long time ago tho

Brendan Ekstrom . 04.05.2013 . Cool Try (Bro) Interview

Q: So as an independent band now, what are your thoughts on Spotify and other streaming services like that?

Brendan: Well, Spotify… It’s just hard not to be conflicted about Spotify (laughter) because on one hand it’s like “man I wish I grew up with Spotify”… As a music listener and a person who enjoys music it is the most convenient thing that’s ever happened and… as a person who’s trying to make a living off it is just… it’s not helping things as far as I can tell. I mean It’s debatable too, that’s kind of the problem with all of these things is that all of these new things that are happening, no one really knows if it’s hurting or if it’s helping because on one hand someone can just be like “Circa Survive, I’ve heard that name a bunch but never really checked them out” and then they can just open up Spotify and check us out and maybe they hate it and maybe they like it, but if they really like it and they start coming out to our shows then that’s great and that’s a good thing and that might help wave the fact that you know… we’re making ten cents off of Spotify a year… It’s really hard to tell.

http://cooltry.com.a...-circa-survive/
http://circaboard.com/?showtopic=7977

#270 Jose D.

Jose D.

Key Member

• Key Member
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:00 PM

Circa Survive have signed with Sumerian Records to release a deluxe edition of the their latest album, Violent Waves. The re-release will also feature a full-length DVD of the band's recent performance at the Shrine in Los Angeles.

Sumerian Records’ Ash Avildsen adds: “Today is one of the happiest and fulfilling days of my career and I think I speak for our entire staff when sharing that sentiment. Having Circa Survive join the Sumerian family is a dream come true. Their passion and approach of artistic transcendence as a band is exactly what we continue to strive for with Sumerian as a brand. Their progressive, ethereal songwriting that conveys emotion in such a unique way has built them an incredible cult following while always staying true to themselves, which is the definition of musical success in my mind. Sumerian is honored to play a part in their career and vision. We hope to help them achieve even bigger goals while bringing their music to more new ears worldwide.”

https://www.youtube....h?v=LBlUaJ3eEaE

http://www.altpress....e_violent_waves
every second im talking to you is another second im not at waffle house.

#271 September

September

ninja incognito

• Site Admin
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:41 PM

neat.

preorder: http://sumerianmerch.com/
release date: 09.09.2014

#272 Roy Batty

Roy Batty

• 302 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

signed to Sumerian just for the dvd?
Posted Image

#273 Jose D.

Jose D.

Key Member

• Key Member
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:15 PM

"Sumerian Records is proud to welcome CIRCA SURVIVE to its worldwide roster and this partnership kicks off with the much-anticipated deluxe edition of the group's last album, Violent Waves, on Sept. 9th. "

just the start, should be more to come. people on ap.net are thinking its just a one time deal when the obviously didnt read the article lol
every second im talking to you is another second im not at waffle house.

#274 ForeverRecher

ForeverRecher

I Don't Post Much

• 149 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:42 AM

Be prepared for any shipping delays from Sumerian. It happened with the most recent Animals As Leaders album where people got the vinyl three months late. I hope it doesn't happen with Circa, but it might.
Posted Image

#275 September

September

ninja incognito

• Site Admin
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:09 AM

Stephen Clifford . 08.15.2014 . Instagram
"Earlier today, we announced that we signed to @sumerianrecords and are reissuing violent waves with a live DVD! Beyond the obvious reasons for me to be excited about our new home, this is really special for me. When I was 17, rather than finishing high school, I got my first taste of being a touring musician in a band called reflux with @ashavildsen and @tosinabasi. Everything has come full circle and we're all part of the same family now. It's pretty fucking cool."

first post update = http://circaboard.co...17

#276 FaiNt

FaiNt

kobe sucks

• 809 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:26 PM

i preordered so i hope i get it.

interesting sign. I feel that with Steve having a connection with  one of the main dudes they won't mess with circa's sound.

#277 Roy Batty

Roy Batty

• 302 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:31 AM

Is Sumerian Records generally a better label to be on than Equal Vision?
Posted Image

#278 jerrid

jerrid

,;~,;`';.,_oo

• Key Member
  • 1,330 posts
  • Interests:Being at Showbox November 23rd.
  • Facebook Link

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:59 AM

Sumerian looks like a perfect fit, absolutely. And Equal Vision has been going down the toilet IMO since Circa left. Long time ago now

#279 (Mike)

(Mike)

Vanilla Bear

• 330 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:55 PM

I dunno, looks like a lot of those scene metalcore bands on Sumerian, but I get that the label has to pay their bills.

#280 Nich

Nich

Eternal Forward Momentum

• Key Member
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:09 PM

I just got my shipping confirmation for my Bundle. I just got the CD/DVD/POSTER.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users