November 24, 2014 | Sumerian Records

#2 September

September

ninja incognito

• Site Admin
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:00 PM

Posted Image
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Past News:

Anthony Green . 11.22.2013 . Suicide Girls Interview (@ 23:34)
"...I've been recording vocals for new Circa songs, that we're gonna do a new Circa record next year. yeah and it's like the best stuff. I know that people say it all the time but the demos that they gave me for... They gave me five demos and they're the best five Circa songs, collectively, one after another, that i've heard ever. Coming up like, we're gonna write a new record, you know, like having the first demos usually be this good is just very odd. Immediately I'm like holy shit it's gonna be really good."

Brendan was recently asked why Circa has no plans to come to the UK anytime soon. He responded:

Brendan Ekstrom . 01.10.2014 . Twitter
"writing a record"

Circa Survive entered Studio 4 in Conshohocken, PA on April 22, 2014 to record material for their fifth album.
Will Yip co-produced and engineered the sessions. Tracking concluded on May 31, 2014.

Posted Image

http://circaboard.tu...ost/83641469492
http://circaboard.tu...ost/84577082180
http://circaboard.tu...ost/84833787890
http://circaboard.tu...ost/84856874695
http://circaboard.tu...ost/85081406435
http://circaboard.tu...ost/85157986085
http://circaboard.tu...ost/85736899625

Posted Image

#3 Pat

Pat

i wash myself with a rag on a stick

• Key Member
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:56 PM

excited, obviously. i wasn't sure what the status of the next record was at this point.

#4 FaiNt

FaiNt

kobe sucks

• 809 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:56 AM

very curious what the vibe of this album will be. The songs on VW were very very solid.. just not a big fan of the mixing, tbh.  I wonder if keys will be more prominent in this record.. i know they were in the previous records in subtle ways...

This album might be more brighter sounding since VW was kind of mellow, but who knows.  Will be great as usual im sure.

#5 meepcreep

meepcreep

• 955 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:07 AM

Posted Image

#6 (Mike)

(Mike)

Vanilla Bear

• 330 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:05 PM

Can't wait for this.  I still think these guys have the potential to blow away everything they've ever done.  Interested in who is going to produce this too.

#7 Roy Batty

Roy Batty

• 302 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:46 PM

YES, they just keep me hanging on!

I want them to do whatever it is they think feels right. but Id love for them to do a more artsy album.
maybe not focus as much on choruses or hooks and just put out some super dense and out there tunes.
Posted Image

#8 FaiNt

FaiNt

kobe sucks

• 809 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:03 PM

View PostRoy Batty, on 18 January 2014 - 02:46 PM, said:

YES, they just keep me hanging on!

I want them to do whatever it is they think feels right. but Id love for them to do a more artsy album.
maybe not focus as much on choruses or hooks and just put out some super dense and out there tunes.

i kind of want them to do a pink floyd like album.. that's just me lol

#9 Roy Batty

Roy Batty

• 302 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:49 PM

View PostFaiNt, on 18 January 2014 - 05:03 PM, said:

i kind of want them to do a pink floyd like album.. that's just me lol

Yeah that could be cool too if they brought some proggyness. I just want them to do something shocking or something that sounds important. I just have such high expectations for them because I think theyre so talented
Posted Image

#10 FaiNt

FaiNt

kobe sucks

• 809 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:01 AM

View PostRoy Batty, on 19 January 2014 - 06:49 PM, said:

Yeah that could be cool too if they brought some proggyness. I just want them to do something shocking or something that sounds important. I just have such high expectations for them because I think theyre so talented
Yeah, I think they are underrated musicians all things considered.

#11 Roy Batty

Roy Batty

• 302 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:49 AM

Ill preface this again by saying I want them to do whatever they think feels right but....

The more I think about it, Im really not interested in hearing any more "single" type songs from them. Tons of the most relevant and
critically acclaimed bands of the last several years (current era) have foregone writing easily digestible and obvious singles altogether in order to create a
more cohesive and important album. Also straight up alt rock sounds arent even relevant or commercially lucrative any more and havent
been for a while. Just some thoughts
Posted Image

#12 ߣR

ߣR

▪ ▪ ▪

• Key Member
  • 8,343 posts
  • Interests:art, drawing
  • defkids

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:59 PM

idk this band is very skilled at what they do obviously and they do have the potential to stay relevant.. but i just dont see it happening in a significant way . I don't see them challenging their fans very much. I think they'll make a new record that sounds good, but to make something "important" i feel like you have to not be afraid to make something that people are going to potentially hate. As much as many dont want to admit it.. originality doesn't sell well. People don't like original ideas. If you look at history the most important artists/musicians did things that were really questionable with their work. But for good reason. Often new ideas go under appreciated, but people learn to understand them. I dont think this band is concerned really with making an important album. Just making music they love. I think there's a big difference between the two.

#13 Roy Batty

Roy Batty

• 302 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

I honestly feel like OLG and Juturna more or less deserve to be called important on stylings alone. Im just bored sick of strummed alternative music and the new ones do that somewhat (frequently in the choruses)

The point Im trying to make is the most critically acclaimed bands of the last several years dont release alternative rock mostly outside of QOTSA. Look at what The National, Arcade Fire, Bon Iver and his other band Volcano Choir have released lately. These are the bands making waves. Alternative rock is not artistically relevant.

I mean they had a renaissance period from in '08 or '09 and then they just threw material away and rewrote a bunch of stuff that became BSN. I feel like somewhere along the way someone exec told them that adding alternative influences would garner them more acclaim or something and I just see trends that completely negate that. They are just so technically proficient and have awesome influences. They listen to Silver Mt Zion, Tortoise, Bjork, King Crimson, Godspeed You, and Radiohead. They definitely could hang with these bands.

Circa if youre reading this......We love you guys!! Now dazzle us!
Posted Image

#14 ߣR

ߣR

▪ ▪ ▪

• Key Member
  • 8,343 posts
  • defkids

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

I don't want to sound discouraging when i say i dont see them doing it because in all honesty i do want them to raise the bar not only for themselves but for the rest of us. I mean why not? They do have great influences and the support to make something more powerful than rest of the discography and their entire genre. I feel like these guys have been swimming in  this potential pool for a really long time. The previous records were good, but i think we all know they can really bend our minds if they tried. They eliminated the middle man. They have full artistic control over their work now i believe. With that kind of opportunity and privilege they should take full advantage of it in every way. Fuck pre-existing thoughts on music, structure, and genre.  get weird. blow our minds.

#15 Roy Batty

Roy Batty

• 302 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:42 PM

View PostᜏR, on 26 January 2014 - 05:13 PM, said:

I don't want to sound discouraging when i say i dont see them doing it because in all honesty i do want them to raise the bar not only for themselves but for the rest of us. I mean why not? They do have great influences and the support to make something more powerful than rest of the discography and their entire genre. I feel like these guys have been swimming in  this potential pool for a really long time. The previous records were good, but i think we all know they can really bend our minds if they tried. They eliminated the middle man. They have full artistic control over their work now i believe. With that kind of opportunity and privilege they should take full advantage of it in every way. Fuck pre-existing thoughts on music, structure, and genre.  get weird. blow our minds.

This. I agree 10000%

I think they know the industry is now in a state where it accepts some challenging music.
I also hope they realize their fans will accept it too. The weirder the better.

Also, I just wanna throw this in here....House of Leaves is still one of the most artistic songs Ive ever heard.
Posted Image

#16 FaiNt

FaiNt

kobe sucks

• 809 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:21 PM

View PostRoy Batty, on 26 January 2014 - 05:42 PM, said:

This. I agree 10000%

I think they know the industry is now in a state where it accepts some challenging music.
I also hope they realize their fans will accept it too. The weirder the better.

Also, I just wanna throw this in here....House of Leaves is still one of the most artistic songs Ive ever heard.
House of Leaves is one of their best songs.
Fever Dreams is also one of their exotic songs in their disc. imo.

I just want Circa to write music they love and whatever is spawned from that i will connect too the most.

#17 ߣR

ߣR

▪ ▪ ▪

• Key Member
  • 8,343 posts
  • defkids

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:10 PM

Well from the sounds of it  seems like they already do love where it's going. Definitely what's more important than the idea of importance itself is that they have the spirit to make music regardless of where it stands amongst the rest.
Sometimes i wonder though.. if the audience has high demands will the artist consider that? So, as much as i want them to make music they love i want them to challenge themselves and the audience they make music for. Not that i expect them to listen to me, but that if i'm open and honest about my thoughts maybe they will hear me out.

#18 Roy Batty

Roy Batty

• 302 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:26 PM

I just realized that Circa's LP5 is probably going to be recorded right after Anthony gets done with the TSOAF tour. Hes going to be performing songs that he hasnt performed in 8 years and other songs for the first time ever. I think hes going to come back from that experience with a lot of inspiration and Id love to see it have influence on LP5. I dont think its too farfetched that it wouldnt. In particular, The Ocean and The Sun had some very interesting vocal work by Anthony. If I think I know anything about the way he works, he is constantly being inspired by new things and the other amazing musicians he sorrounds himself with. This could be SUPER interesting

Im excited as shit
Posted Image

#19 Genomesayin'?

Genomesayin'?

Dad of the boards is back...

• Key Member
  • 3,581 posts
  • Interests:I like photography. Trying to make that money but I'm pretty much a starving artist. Heres my webpage. http://geneedgarphoto.weebly.com
    but soon it will just be geneedgarphoto.com
  • papadunk2001
  • 07 Boardie Award

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:13 AM

I had to come back here and say holy crap...i'm excited.

#20 Daiei

Daiei

• 383 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:07 AM

Excited for the new album.  Don't expect anything experimental.  The guys are older now and have families to take care of.  They'll make what sells.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users