Circa Survive "Violent Waves" Discussion (08.28.2012)

Circa Survive CS LP4 2012

• Please log in to reply
1682 replies to this topic

#961 Jacky13516

Jacky13516

• 354 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:16 AM

View PostCircaLife, on 31 July 2012 - 05:24 AM, said:

It may seem a bit out of place some of the screams but it reminds me of the old live shows when Anthony went fucking insane and screamed all the time when he wasn't supposed to.. I like that feel... it's as if i'm at the show watching Anthony go balistic!

Definitely agree with this, I don't really feel like the screams are awkward. It really does that the feel of a live circa show to me, except that instead of leaving the craziness and intensity purely for the stage, Anthony is injecting more of it into the album version. I absolutely love this song though, and I loveee listening to it and then Suitcase right after. It's nice having a little bit of context for the two songs, rather than releasing two songs that are no where near each other in terms of tracklisting.

#962 OliJ

OliJ

I Don't Post Much

• 140 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:43 AM

I like it but does anyone else think it sounds weird when he says "Again"? Thats the only part I'm not a fan of, probably the acoustic version making me feel that way. I do like the live feel of it. The first time I heard it I could've sworn he yelled "Jump" but thankfully I'm pretty sure thats not actually in it so I don't know how I heard that o_O. I think Oh Hello flows a little better but I still really like this song and its catchy as hell. It took some warming up to Suitcase and this but I started liking Sharp after the second listen. The Lottery is still the best.

#963 CPR

CPR

• 367 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:32 PM

The only weird part of the song is when he screams YYEEAAHH!!! It doesn't fit/sound right. Great song though.

#964 Stormy

Stormy

Key Member

• Key Member
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:34 PM

Too many trolls on AbsolutePunk, I barely take what they say seriously.
Oh god, just read that thread. HEADACHE.

Also, I like this a lot, but I honestly like "Suitcase" better.

View PostDr. Steve Brule, on 30 July 2012 - 09:39 PM, said:

The one thing i'm sad about is that they've completely abandoned all emo influence, which should've been obvious after BSN but still.
Meh, I prefer it this way

#965 Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule

ya turkey

• 641 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

yeah it seems like they're trying to capture their live sound a bit too much which results in some awkward moments.

#966 Elia

Elia

many moons

• Key Member
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

Maybe you should listen to Zolof, or Sound of Animals Fighting to compare. I think the screams sound fine, if that's what you even want to call them.

Off this thread for a while. See you guys when more news comes out.
Posted Image

#967 Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule

ya turkey

• 641 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

they sounded great before(especially on translating the name) because they weren't out of place. now that circa has switched to straightforward rock songs they sound kind of awkward at times.

#968 ߣR

ߣR

▪ ▪ ▪

• Key Member
  • 8,343 posts
  • Interests:art, drawing
  • defkids

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

View PostJacky13516, on 31 July 2012 - 09:16 AM, said:

Definitely agree with this, I don't really feel like the screams are awkward. It really does that the feel of a live circa show to me, except that instead of leaving the craziness and intensity purely for the stage, Anthony is injecting more of it into the album version. I absolutely love this song though, and I loveee listening to it and then Suitcase right after. It's nice having a little bit of context for the two songs, rather than releasing two songs that are no where near each other in terms of tracklisting.

that's pretty much how i feel too. It sounds a lot more honest

#969 OliJ

OliJ

I Don't Post Much

• 140 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:34 PM

...I think he does say "jump" at 1:23 ...that's stupid

#970 ߣR

ߣR

▪ ▪ ▪

• Key Member
  • 8,343 posts
  • defkids

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:19 AM

itt people complaining about why circa survive changed their sound. like always

#971 FaiNt

FaiNt

kobe sucks

• 809 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:26 PM

i think circa could've used a producer on this. Listening to it again, its like poppy idk, it repeats a lot.. its like a standard rock song. They really got away from their weird progressions from JUT/OLG and that makes me sad.

#972 Matt

Matt

show me your butt

• Key Member
  • 4,488 posts
  • Interests:butts n boobs

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:05 PM

I like Sharp Practice more than Staircase. Something about Sharp Practice slays. Although, listening to it after a few times and reading on here a bit, it definitely lacks the Jut/OLG sounds that I missed dearly in BSN.

#973 ߣR

ߣR

▪ ▪ ▪

• Key Member
  • 8,343 posts
  • defkids

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

like i honestly don't have a problem with them changing their sound like this. All those songs that people compare these ones too are great. I don't need them to repeat themselves to please me. If i want to listen to those i always can and that's what i enjoy about their catalogue of music. Even if it's not in a style i prefer i just make the choice not to listen to it. Some days i actually am in the mood to listen to it. You're not going to be into something all the time. I find that some of those songs i loved at one point get stale to me some days. Your taste can change. It'd be boring if they stuck with the same idea always.  All the elements that make a circa song interesting are still here though. So tbh i don't think they really have changed that much. It's just style which is all surface. If they changed that think of it for a reason. Can you imagine someone trying to say something different with each album all with the same styles and patterns of music? The idea gets muddled.

#974 Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule

ya turkey

• 641 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

It's not just the fact that they've changed their sound, it's the fact that it went from the beautifully haunting and ethereal sounds we heard on Juturna to the overproduced and formulaic radio-rock songs featured on BSN. Not saying it didn't have some of circa's best songs(fever dreams, frozen creek), but as a whole it felt extremely shallow and insincere to me. I honestly felt like it had little to none of the qualities that made me fall in love with this band when i first heard them 5+ years ago. If you don't share my opinion that's fine, but this kind of attitude:

View PostᜏR, on 01 August 2012 - 06:19 AM, said:

itt people complaining about why circa survive changed their sound. like always
is just ridiculous. So what's the policy here? Everything they've ever done is equally great and if you disagree, keep your opinion to yourself? This should be a place to discuss their music critically and honestly, not just some huge circle jerk saying how amazing they are.

That being said, I do have hope that Violent Waves will be an enormous improvement from BSN based on the two singles that have already been released and i think that has a lot to do with the fact that it's self-produced.

#975 Pat

Pat

i wash myself with a rag on a stick

• Key Member
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:52 PM

people bitched that OLG was too similar to juturna. then people bitched that BSN was too different. the reason it gets annoying is because people whine about the same shit over and over. we've heard 2 songs from violent waves. at least wait until we've heard the whole album before starting this bullshit again.

#976 ߣR

ߣR

▪ ▪ ▪

• Key Member
  • 8,343 posts
  • defkids

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:56 PM

You guys can have opinions on it just as much as me. I'm not saying don't complain I'm just stating what I think you guys do whenever they do something different. Go ahead and disagree with me. That's totally fine and warranted.

#977 Chelsea

Chelsea

• Circa Mod
  • 3,777 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

It's not that we don't appreciate criticism of the more recent works but for me personally, I'm sick of fucking hearing from people that don't really even enjoy Circa bitch and moan and say "Juturna was their only good album. Everything else sucked". It's like the people who say "Through Being Cool is the only good Saves the Day album". So yeah, I get pissed. I get they're different. I like one album more than I like another but I wasn't disappointed with BSN or OLG or Juturna. I don't know, I don't want to hear the same album again and again and again. I love change and I like Circa's change. Maybe musicians can appreciate that more than other music lovers. I just get bummed/annoyed when people don't see what I see or hear what I hear.

#978 Elia

Elia

many moons

• Key Member
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:25 PM

View PostDr. Steve Brule, on 01 August 2012 - 03:26 PM, said:

but as a whole it felt extremely shallow and insincere to me. I honestly felt like it had little to none of the qualities that made me fall in love with this band when i first heard them 5+ years ago.

I thought those lyrics were the most open and raw that Anthony ever wrote, but whatever.

View PostPat, on 01 August 2012 - 03:52 PM, said:

people bitched that OLG was too similar to juturna. then people bitched that BSN was too different. the reason it gets annoying is because people whine about the same shit over and over. we've heard 2 songs from violent waves. at least wait until we've heard the whole album before starting this bullshit again.

Yep.
Posted Image

#979 Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule

ya turkey

• 641 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:30 PM

View PostPat, on 01 August 2012 - 03:52 PM, said:

people bitched that OLG was too similar to juturna.
well that's just ridiculous, they are both masterpieces that seem more and more unique and independent from each other with every listen.

View PostChelsea, on 01 August 2012 - 04:04 PM, said:

"Juturna was their only good album. Everything else sucked"
Yeah that would piss me off too, but i don't think i've ever heard someone who is actually into circa express this opinion.

#980 FaiNt

FaiNt

kobe sucks

• 809 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:00 PM

Seriously, OLG sounds nothing like juturna. In fact, thats a great way to evolve as a band with what they did with OLG.  BSN was entirely different, and def. had some "formulaic radio-rock songs" such as imaginary enemy, get out, i felt free. Imaginary enemy is a good song in itself but it isnt circa great. You say you accept criticism but when it is given it is referred to as crying and whining. I don't want them to write exactly like JUT or OLG but i do wish they keep some elements like house of leaves or stop the fucking car or the greatest lie. I have to hear the entire album but sharp practice isn't a great song in their catalog and neither is suitcase (kinda bland)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users