Jump to content


Circa Survive "Violent Waves" Discussion (08.28.2012)

Circa Survive CS LP4 2012

  • Please log in to reply
1682 replies to this topic

#1181 Lazarus

Lazarus

    kirk lazarus

  • Member
  • 396 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:45 PM

Posted Image

#1182 Blly

Blly

    goose dmmait blliy!

  • Key Member
  • 5,895 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Denver, CO
  • Interests:music, film, art.
  • Facebook Link

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:46 PM

ahhh

anthony references No Country stuff inspiring OLG, colin references TWBB inspiring BSN stuff.

there's no problem. :)


http://speakvolumes.tumblr.com/
QUOTE(butters @ Nov 28 2009, 10:43 PM) View Post
ohhhh billy *insert jim carrey voice here*

#1183 Roy Batty

Roy Batty

    Member

  • Member
  • 302 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Texas

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:49 PM

View PostBílly, on 09 August 2012 - 03:46 PM, said:

ahhh

anthony references No Country stuff inspiring OLG, colin references TWBB inspiring BSN stuff.

there's no problem. :)
still No Country came out after OLG unless its the book.  Sorry to keep derailing the topic guys this is just real interesting stuff to me.  I just dont get how they wouldve seen the movie or the "scene" he was talking about by the time it was written.
Posted Image

#1184 September

September

    ninja incognito

  • Site Admin
  • 3,915 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

Juturna & The Inuit Sessions
Movies: Eternal Sunshine For The Spotless Mind & A Clockwork Orange
TV Shows: ?
Books: "House Of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski

On Letting Go & B-Sides
Movies: The Life Aquatic
TV Shows: Lost
Books: "Breaking Open The Head" by Daniel Pinchbeck

Blue Sky Noise & Appendage
Movies: Synechdoche, New York, The Science of Sleep, No Country For Old Men & There Will Be Blood
TV Shows: ?
Books (Authors): Augusten Burroughs, David Sedaris, Kurt Vonnegut. J.D. Salinger, Jim Morrison, "Will to Power" by Friedrich Nietzsche & "Father's Milk" by Peter Samu

Violent Waves
Movies: ?
TV Shows: ?
Books: ?

this is the info i've found in regard to what they were watching or reading while writing or recording.
influence/inspirationality may vary.

http://circaboard.co...16
http://circaboard.co...170
http://www.artistdir...7637142,00.html

#1185 ashtraytongue

ashtraytongue

    known some call is air am

  • New Member
  • 32 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Manchester, CT

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:55 PM

View PostRoy Batty, on 09 August 2012 - 03:49 PM, said:

still No Country came out after OLG unless its the book.  Sorry to keep derailing the topic guys this is just real interesting stuff to me.  I just dont get how they wouldve seen the movie or the "scene" he was talking about by the time it was written.

that interview is edited, and it clips from the lost conversation to the no country for old men conversation. there is no telling what else was said in between. my impression is that anthony was talking about BSN for no country. there is no handcuff washing scene in that movie from what i remember, it ends with a car crash. however, kate from lost washes off her hanndcuffs.
anarcho-feminism, veganism, punk rock
Posted Image

#1186 Roy Batty

Roy Batty

    Member

  • Member
  • 302 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Texas

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:57 PM

View Postashtraytongue, on 09 August 2012 - 03:55 PM, said:

that interview is edited, and it clips from the lost conversation to the no country for old men conversation. there is no telling what else was said in between. my impression is that anthony was talking about BSN for no country. there is no handcuff washing scene in that movie from what i remember, it ends with a car crash. however, kate from lost washes off her hanndcuffs.
Yeah thats what im thinking, it all checks out.
Posted Image

#1187 ForeverRecher

ForeverRecher

    I Don't Post Much

  • Member
  • 149 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:PA

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:46 PM

View Postiwannalive, on 09 August 2012 - 01:27 PM, said:

Nick vocals on "the lottery" is pretty solid, i loved, his voice is awesome!
It's not Nick. It's a guy named Geoff from the band Thursday.
Posted Image

#1188 CircaLife

CircaLife

    Sir.

  • New Member
  • 20 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Copenhagen
  • Interests:Obviously Circa Survive, playing with my band and food.
  • Facebook Link

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:45 PM

It amazes me how Anthony's vocals just gets better and better with every new album they release.

Every song brings up a different feeling in me.. somehow very nostalgic and it makes me think about winter 2010.. many things happened that year.. bad stuff - Violent Waves makes me think about that stuff and actually thinking about some of those things now makes me smile.

I'm so proud of these guys.. My favorite band for about 6 years i wish i could meet them someday and just thank them.. no matter how awkward it would be.. starstruck and emotional i just want to thank them.

Circa Survive saves fucking lives...
Thank you.

#1189 alexthegreat

alexthegreat

    I Don't Post Much

  • Member
  • 109 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:407
  • Interests:taking hikes underwater. dancing with whales. fishing for humans.

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

View Postiwannalive, on 09 August 2012 - 10:41 AM, said:

Violent waves is like Juturna atmosphere + On letting Go mellodic =D

spot on my friend. violent waves is the album I was hoping for with bsn, but its fine I'm glad they have major label album under their belt. though from now on, I'd much rather perfer they continue to produce all their future projects.

#1190 Blly

Blly

    goose dmmait blliy!

  • Key Member
  • 5,895 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Denver, CO
  • Interests:music, film, art.
  • Facebook Link

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:37 PM

View PostCircaLife, on 09 August 2012 - 06:45 PM, said:

It amazes me how Anthony's vocals just gets better and better with every new album they release.

Every song brings up a different feeling in me.. somehow very nostalgic and it makes me think about winter 2010.. many things happened that year.. bad stuff - Violent Waves makes me think about that stuff and actually thinking about some of those things now makes me smile.

I'm so proud of these guys.. My favorite band for about 6 years i wish i could meet them someday and just thank them.. no matter how awkward it would be.. starstruck and emotional i just want to thank them.

Circa Survive saves fucking lives...
Thank you.

you totally can. really easy to meet them, really.

and I'm pretty sure they would tell you that they don't save anybody's life. They just trick people into saving their own.


http://speakvolumes.tumblr.com/
QUOTE(butters @ Nov 28 2009, 10:43 PM) View Post
ohhhh billy *insert jim carrey voice here*

#1191 RyanHouseOfLeaves

RyanHouseOfLeaves

    feels good man

  • Member
  • 607 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:56 PM

So after listening to this album a couple more times im finally seeing the direction they were getting at, i guess i was so use to BSN and how poppy it kinda was if that makes sense and thought maybe it was gonna be more like that. Violent waves has a little juturna feel to it but honestly i cant match this sound with any other album, its just a more really slow psychedelic feel to it. Favorite so far are "My only friend" and "The Lottery", last half of the track still kinda tickles my pickle just a tad bit.
"If we can't make memories, We cant heal."

#1192 Anon

Anon

    Newbie

  • New Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:35 PM

I realized after a couple listens that this album is On Letting Go 2. It just sounds like the exact same type of song to me, and the way the songs are ordered too. As the same with every other circa album for me, it took me a few listens before I truly appreciate the whole album. I was in the same boat with a few of you where I wasn't feeling the second half of the album, but with every listen, it grows on me. That's each song individually and the album as a whole. I will say that on my third listen, I was fairly stoned, and that made me appreciate the album so much more. Not that I'm promoting drug use, but it was an amazing experience.

#1193 the glorious nose bleed

the glorious nose bleed

    "Don't let them give you the run-a-rounnd"

  • Member
  • 715 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bridgeport, CT

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:12 PM

View Poststopthefuckindrew, on 09 August 2012 - 12:48 PM, said:

I was thinking the same thing, sounds like a lot of same subjects and more. I think this album is about a spiritual awakening that the band has gone through and how they see the world is doing the same thing as well. Most people don't know what's happening in the world right now... the world is protesting. Some parts of almost every country is protesting like America, Canada, United Kingdom, New Zealand, Japan and every single city in Mexico is protesting. It seems to me as if the world is becoming aware that the old traditions, the old routines don't make sense anymore and that's what I hear in OLG and Violent Waves. Why I say this is because the title of the first track is Birth of the Economic Hit Man... I've said this here on the board before that the phrase comes from a documentary called Zeitgeist: Addendum... it talks about religion, "conspiracy theories" which I firmly believe have a lot of truth behind them. Also John Perkins is the author of the novel Confessions of an Economic Hit Man and he's also in the documentary and he says the birth of the economic hit man. Also I know that Circa loves the band Muse, Matt Bellamy the singer, guitarist and pianist of the band read the same Confessions of an Economic Hit Man which influenced him to write the song Uprising and the first lyrics in the song of Birth of the Economic Hit man is "Uprising within us." The Lottery's lyrics show it as well... "Blame it on the air that you breathe" chemtrials which is another "conspiracy" and "I can't see how anything's nursed on disease" which sounds to me like the the vaccines that dumb us down and kills us slowly and you can hear it in a lot of the other songs as well.. talks about resistance, uprisings, materialism, superficiality, spirituality, opening his eyes, waking up, and illusions... but this is what I hear, I could be wrong and I'm not trying to use Circa has a political agenda, that's just how I perceived the album.

So you and most people out there... already knows that this worlds full of shit, and something needs to happen. I def get the OLG vibe, i remember in a interview anthony green said something, like "On Letting Go, is about just letting go of the bullshit" .. i feel like VW is now like "Ok.. Lets start and take control of whats ours."

#1194 David

David

    I'm New

  • New Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:14 PM

Got an email last night asking what song I wanted the handwritten lyrics for.. The first four tracks were taken already, so I went with Blood From a Stone. There's something about that song that just gets me. Did feel a bit dirty listening to the low quality leak, but thought I should listen to it to stop me from choosing a song I didn't like! Can't wait to the hear the album in full quality.

#1195 the glorious nose bleed

the glorious nose bleed

    "Don't let them give you the run-a-rounnd"

  • Member
  • 715 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bridgeport, CT

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:16 PM

View PostAnon, on 09 August 2012 - 08:35 PM, said:

I realized after a couple listens that this album is On Letting Go 2. It just sounds like the exact same type of song to me, and the way the songs are ordered too. As the same with every other circa album for me, it took me a few listens before I truly appreciate the whole album. I was in the same boat with a few of you where I wasn't feeling the second half of the album, but with every listen, it grows on me. That's each song individually and the album as a whole. I will say that on my third listen, I was fairly stoned, and that made me appreciate the album so much more. Not that I'm promoting drug use, but it was an amazing experience.

Smoking a bowl, running back VW  for like the 10th time. "think of me when they sound" is just... goddamn... love the fact, i'm always finding new shit/melodies i haven't heard through the first listen n what not. If i was to putt the albums in order i'd be OLG, Juturna, Violent Waves, BSN. Not rating or anything.







Anyone notice "blood from a stone" as soon as AG starts singing, sounds just like Michael Jackson, shit cray.

#1196 ߣR

ߣR

    ▪ ▪ ▪

  • Key Member
  • 8,343 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:california
  • Interests:art, drawing
  • defkids

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:52 PM

This album is pretty much all their albums mixed together.  It was exactly what I was hoping for. BSN was pretty great to me when it came out, but it did feel like just a stepping stone to something like this. It didn't really dial in their full potential to me, but I knew that they were just trying new things out to spread their pallete of sound. I think their next album will be so interesting. This one is really a milestone I think

#1197 Roy Batty

Roy Batty

    Member

  • Member
  • 302 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Texas

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:16 PM

Are the lyrics to the chorus of Blood From A Stone "blood will bring you back to life" or something like that?  If so, thats so awesomely weird.
Posted Image

#1198 Lazarus

Lazarus

    kirk lazarus

  • Member
  • 396 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:30 PM

View PostᜏR, on 09 August 2012 - 09:52 PM, said:

This album is pretty much all their albums mixed together.  It was exactly what I was hoping for. BSN was pretty great to me when it came out, but it did feel like just a stepping stone to something like this. It didn't really dial in their full potential to me, but I knew that they were just trying new things out to spread their pallete of sound. I think their next album will be so interesting. This one is really a milestone I think

I'm hoping Circa pulls a Radiohead with the next album and just mindfucks us all. With Violent Waves they've really perfected their sound, though.

#1199 Roy Batty

Roy Batty

    Member

  • Member
  • 302 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Texas

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:34 PM

View PostLazarus, on 09 August 2012 - 10:30 PM, said:

I'm hoping Circa pulls a Radiohead with the next album and just mindfucks us all. With Violent Waves they've really perfected their sound, though.

Dude, I have been waiting for this band to go completely post-rock ever since I heard all those super experimental jams they posted on youtube predating the BSN pre-pro vids.
Posted Image

#1200 ߣR

ߣR

    ▪ ▪ ▪

  • Key Member
  • 8,343 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:california
  • Interests:art, drawing
  • defkids

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:37 PM

View PostLazarus, on 09 August 2012 - 10:30 PM, said:

I'm hoping Circa pulls a Radiohead with the next album and just mindfucks us all. With Violent Waves they've really perfected their sound, though.

i think this band really fits the idea of progressive. Trying new things for new (hopefully better) results. I could see them just doing something so different that would throw everyone off guard and less just expanding on this material. More stepping stones to greater things. But who knows maybe they will just expand on this sound, but i honestly hope they don't get too comfortable doing the same thing. Reminds me of how between the buried and me finally progressed to the album "colors" and it was so amazing. Then their next albums were more of the same thing and less exciting. Still technically good however, but less interesting because it was more rehashing ideas than anything.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users