Circa Survive "Violent Waves" Discussion (08.28.2012)

Circa Survive CS LP4 2012

• Please log in to reply
1682 replies to this topic

#1 September

September

ninja incognito

• Site Admin
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:34 PM

Posted Image
Circa Survive - Violent Waves
01 - Birth Of The Economic Hit Man
02 - Sharp Practice
03 - Suitcase [06.25.2012]
04 - The Lottery
05 - My Only Friend
06 - Phantasmagoria
07 - Think Of Me When They Sound
08 - Brother Song
09 - Bird Sounds
10 - Blood From A Stone
11 - I'll Find A Way

Release Date: August 28, 2012

Recorded: West Conshohocken, PA @ Studio 4 Recording
Preproduction Dates [?] : 03.26.2012 - 04.15.2012
Recording Dates [?] : 04.16.2012 - 04.24.2012
Produced by: Circa Survive
Recording Engineer: William Yip
Mixing Engineer: Vince Ratti
Mastering Engineer: ?

Guest Vocals [Suitcase]: Rachel Minton (Zolof the Rock and Roll Destroyer)
Guest Vocals [The Lottery]: Geoff Rickly (Thursday)

#2 September

September

ninja incognito

• Site Admin
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:44 PM

Circa Survive via CircaSurvive.com . 04.16.2012
"Circa has entered the studio to record our fourth full length record.
We have decided to produce this record ourselves and have been extremely excited, inspired and invigorated by the process.
We can't wait for you to hear it."

Songs (Working Titles):
At the Bloom
God Money
Epic
Bad Heart
Church Bells
Dredgy
Lord in the Ring
Mellow Jam
Face Melter
Sad Clark
Dow Jones
Waver
Radio Balls
Nobody Can Change
Baby Steps

If you find any new information, please share it with us here.

Early 2012 via September [CircaBoard]
Circa Survive was planning to record their fourth LP in December 2011 in California with producer Ken Andrews,
but then, for a multitude of reasons, postponed the recording sessions to between mid-March and late-May 2012,
They have since decided to self-produce their fourth LP somewhere closer to home,
announcing on April 16, 2012 that the band entered the studio.

Posted Image
Circa Survive . 02.01.2012 via Instagram
"This little piggy goes on the album , this one stays home"

Posted Image
Circa Survive . 01.17.2012 via Instagram
"Brushing up on new jams so were not out of shape for da studio"

I guess all that talk about them recording in December was just wishful thinking.
It looks like the earliest chance they'll have to go into the studio wont be until they get back from Australia in early March.

PropertyOfZack Interview : Circa Survive (Anthony Green) . October 26, 2011

Are you guys treating this as part of the album cycle for Blue Sky Noise still, or has this just sort of been a tour for the fans?

...and partially because we wanted to play before we hit the studio. We wanted to get that feeling of playing live before we hit the studio so when we go in there we have that energy still.

Is it nice to not be restricted to an album cycle on tour too?
...We're going to do pre-production in a couple weeks with a buddy of ours. We're going to go to California after to record.

You guys have played at least two new songs live. How have fans been reacting to them?
They've been going crazy for them, which is really weird. In the past when we play new songs people mostly just watched. The mood would go from a crazy crowd to just a crowd that watches. Now half the crowd watches and the other half dances. I think it's because the songs are heavy and a little bit epic.

The first two records obviously did more than fine for the band, but was Blue Sky Noise the most positively received release yet?
It's hard to say because we've never had backlash with a release. Maybe that'll be this one.

It's been stated before that the writing for Blue Sky Noise wasn't a cake walk for the band due to various reasons. Was this more of the same or was it easier?
This was totally opposite. It's never been like this before. For Blue Sky Noise, I couldn't handle the band writing five minute songs with me putting vocals over them. I wanted the songs to be written around the vocals. So I was writing all these songs on an acoustic guitar and they were taking stuff and writing it around the vocals. I think from this last record, a majority of the songs were written by the band just jamming and I'd come in after they had ideas and I'd start writing with it. It's exactly how Juturna got written. It went so fast. I wrote a bunch of stuff on acoustic too that we translated, but it just worked differently.

POZ: Is this the most stable it's been?
Anthony: Yeah, I was way more involved and clear-headed. I wasn't on any mental health medication and I didn't have to deal with the mental health issues that came up during Blue Sky Noise. I was at least able to deal with them in a healthier and more productive way.

The two new songs are definitely harder. Is the album as a whole like that?
There's so much heavy shit on this record. It's ridiculous. There are two or three songs that are just straight up punk songs too, which is weird. I think people could interpret them as pop songs, but they were written like straight up old school punk rock songs.

When are you hoping to finish writing by?
I think we're going to take the next two weeks. I'm going to finish putting the finishing touches on a few songs. I'm going to take some solo songs that I think the band could fuck with as well. I'll see if the band wants to do anything with them. Then we'll do pre-production after our own shit for like two weeks. We're going to have a producer fly out and hang with us for like two weeks and then record from the end of Thanksgiving up until Christmas.

POZ: Can you say who you're recording with?
Anthony: I can't, but he's the shit. We're going to record the record live. Like, no overdubs.

POZ: Are you nervous about that at all?
Anthony: Not at all. I can do it. I've done it before on Avalon.

So you'll end up finishing around Christmas. When are you hoping to release the album by?
I think early-summer. I'm not 100% certain.

How many songs will you go into the studio in?
We'll end up recording 15 or 16. We have 15 or 16 now. We'll probably cut out a couple though that need some more work.

Will this be through Atlantic again?
I don't know. Possibly [Laughs].

Posted Image
September 22, 2011 via CS 2011 Fall Tour
Circa debuted two new songs during their 2011 Fall Tour. So far, it appears that they are playing the new songs at every show.
According to the setlist posted by their guitar tech, the working titles for the songs are 'Epic' and 'Face Melter'.

Posted Image
August 19, 2011 via CS Facebook
Gettin funky with some electronic shit at creek

August 18, 2011 via CS Facebook
Even the stuff that turns out amazing in the end rarely feels all that special as it's first coming out... This thing i wrote tonight is barely born and I have chills already when I think of what it could be when played for/with you. xoxo

Posted Image
August 12, 2011 via CircaSurvive.com
album 4. its coming along nicely. we've been holed up at creek house for the last one or so, giving birth to a litter of new material. this kind of thing is exciting to us but that kinda goes without saying. what's it sound like? really? you really want me to tell you via blog? you actually would like me to tell you that its the best stuff we've ever written? that its both at different times the heaviest and yet most intimate sounds we've created? you wont be satisfied until i tell you that this is the record that will make you forget that you ever heard juturna but would get you off even if you really havent heard juturna? what is it exactly that you want to hear? that this will be our most ground breaking album to date? that we've finally found that balance of proggy insanity and pop sensibility we ve been hinting at all these years? thats what you want to read on this blog that you're reading right now; isn't it? well i'm sorry but i cant say anything at this time. that'd be so sweet though right?
xoxo
colin

July 28, 2011 via CS Facebook
Just spent the last 4 hrs writing a headbanger fist pumper at the creekhouse. Hope the boys dig it hAhah. Guess we ll see tomorrow xoxo

July 15, 2011 via CS Facebook
hangin out in the sunroom listening to ant and beard finish tracking vox for a new jam. nice day so far -c

July 14, 2011 via CS Facebook
just recorded vocals for almost two hours then nick realized we had the wrong mic armed. all was lost, but not forgotten.

July 13, 2011 via AG Facebook
Steve is playing me so many awesome instrumentals he made

July 11, 2011 via CS Facebook
writing lyrics and melodies for a demo we are calling at the bloom, and its so groovy but i have to ride my bike home soon to give james a bath and put him to bed.

June 29, 2011 via CS Facebook
Worked on an amazing new circa song today. That makes two this week plus a new acoustic thing I'm working on about a letter a fan wrote. Love love love this shit.

Posted Image
June 28, 2011 via CS Facebook
Just another day at creekhouse studios. NBD
xoxo

June 18, 2011 via CS Facebook
dudes wrote a killer tune yesterday. siked to work on it. we ve built a nice portfolio of new music already and we ve barely started.
-colin #iloveourband

June 17, 2011 via CS Facebook
Writing melodies for one of the craziest circa songs we ever wrote.

Posted Image

Update From The Road . Posted by Colin . May 24, 2011 . CS.com Blog
greetings from texas. camp de circa is doing splendid. this tour has been interesting so far. We're back with our old friends My Chemical Romance and have made some new friends in The Architects. this is what industry folks call "the underplay". where a band plays a tour of venues they know they can sell out in like 2 seconds and all of the shows are very special for hardcore fans. so we re playing alot of venues that we'd normally headline on our own but since we were added to these dates after they already sold out we are performing to 95% MCR superfans. and let me tell you, it feels great. they have a wonderful fanbase and the majority of them seem very respectful and even excited to hear new bands like us and the architects. so we re making new fans and kicking out the jams and getting ready to go into full on writing mode for the summer. on a side note this is my first tour as a married man and i couldnt be more stoked. since we didn't really have time for a honey moon we're leaving for barcelona right after the last show on this tour. if you've been there and have any suggestions of things for me and the lady to check out or cool places to stay please post em here for me! we're also hitting paris and amsterdam so likewise for those. anyway, lots more circa news and updates to come over the summer so stay tuned. infinite love
-colin

March 24, 2011 at 2:52pm via CS Facebook
new jam from today clocks in at 6:40. you can do 6 min abs and be done before this shit ends. -c

March 12, 2011 at 7:42pm via CS Facebook
jam we wrote today is pretty legit. -c

March 11, 2011 at 9:38pm via CS Facebook
we only jammed for a short time today but i cant stop thinking about it. love being in the band. im so lucky . -a

February 20, 2011 at 7:33pm via CS Facebook
ive listened to two new circa ideas for like 2hrs total today trying to think of some additions or changes but my train of thought keeps shifting from "what to change or add?" to "this is fucking awesome!" -colin

Posted Image
February 9, 2011 . AG via Facebook
Seriously Heavy grooves

Exclusive: Anthony Green of Circa Survive Interview
Submitted by: RockTheWalls on: Tue Feb 01, 2011

Circa Survive is now three albums and a couple EPs into their career.
Where does the band go from here on the fourth record or is it too soon to tell?

Anthony: It is a little hard to say. But I just see this next record we write being really weird.
I think all of us are interested in doing something that is jarringly different then Blue Sky Noise.
We have gone into records writing them and thinking there was one thing we wanted to do and then it turns out different.
We have so much further to go and so much to learn what we are capable of.
I feel like we've barely touched the surface as a band on what we are capable of as far as making psychadelic rock music.
I just wanna go further into that.

http://circaboard.co...=...st&p=369538

Anthony Green: Review Rinse Repeat Interview
[01.19.2011] (Wed, 01/26/2011 - 20:40)

Shawn@RRR: Though the release of Blue Sky Noise was last year, has the band begun to write new music in any aspect?

Anthony Green: Yeah, Steve and I are sending ideas at each other, and you know, everyone's been constantly working on new ideas.
I think right after this tour, we're going to get together and spend a little bit of time writing.
For Circa it's always been like, we write a record, tour, may take a little break, and write.
I want to be writing all the time. For Circa's sake it's best if we're all just are writing all the time, and not just designate time for writing.

http://circaboard.co...=...st&p=368125

An Intimate Portrait of Circa Survive
Circa Survive (Anthony Green) Interview . Jan. 14, 2011

Eric: So I know you just released Blue Sky Noise and Appendage EP, but do you have anything new on the horizon?

AG: Yeah, we're always writing and recording but I think we're gonna start putting stuff together for the new record in February.
I mean, of course we'll keep touring on Blue Sky Noise.
For a long time I think Circa has went from writing to recording and had a designated,
this is recording time, this is writing time, whereas all of us would rather just be writing and recording all the time.
It really makes me psyched to be able to tell the fans that there's always new music on the horizon,
and not fake shit like, "hey check out this video update."

http://circaboard.co...=...st&p=368619

#3 FaiNt

FaiNt

kobe sucks

• 809 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:21 PM

Thoughts On Circa's Next Album

Okay, i'm pretty sure no one could have guess the type of sound Circa was going to evolve to in BSN after OLG. BUT.  What do YOU fine creatures believe or wish Circa to turn too in their next studio album? Do you think/want them to expand on even more so on BSN or what?

#4 marccc

marccc

▀ ▄ █ □▀ █ ▄

• Key Member
  • 6,515 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:30 PM

I hope they go back into gloomier emotions,  with the production style of BSN

and more stuff like the sounds that are in the begining of Glass arrows and that "whipping" sound that's in Backmask especially heard as the song is ending.

In fact Backmask, is the perfect example of what I would want, I hope we get alot more of their darker emotions, and maybe alot more interludes, but I trust them in just doing what they want to

#5 Dylan

Dylan

Look at my beautiful erect vagina, please

• Key Member
  • 4,574 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:55 PM

I don't know, whatever they want to do!
QUOTE(Elia @ Apr 4 2011, 12:55 AM) View Post
Dylan just....wow.

dylanmurphy.net

#6 miikkeyy

miikkeyy

farts too much

• 510 posts
  • Interests:lowerDEFINITION

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:07 PM

i want them to be doing what they have been doing.

DON'T FUCK

#7 Rigo

Rigo

i'm phil mickelson

• 537 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:19 PM

like sex, as long as it feels good.
Formerly know as figuerraya

#8 ߣR

ߣR

▪ ▪ ▪

• Key Member
  • 8,343 posts
  • Interests:art, drawing
  • defkids

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:27 PM

As long as they're doing what they truly want to do and not what people expect them to do then i'm good with it.

#9 Stormy

Stormy

Key Member

• Key Member
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:15 PM

View Postbearfist, on Jan 28 2011, 06:21 PM, said:

As long as they're doing what they truly want to do and not what people expect them to do then i'm good with it.
forreaaal

this guy knowssss  ;)

#10 vint

vint

it's piece cake bake pretty cake

• Key Member
  • 6,124 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:16 PM

Epic folk concept album about Egypt.

#11 mike

mike

count poopula

• Key Member
  • 1,865 posts
  • Facebook Link

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:27 PM

if i were to be completely honest, i would like their next album to have much more ambience, if i'm saying that right. what i mean is, the songs on BSN sound just like that: songs. while that's certainly not a bad thing, it just doesn't pull me in. there aren't any little things going on in the background, nothing extra, nothing for me to notice every time i go back to listen. with every song, it's a guitar in each ear, bass in the middle, drums in the back, vocals in the front, very cut and dry. they've clearly mastered their songwriting abilities, but i feel like they could do a lot with their production tricks. as an example, look at The Devil and God, by Brand New. that album has so much essence to it. they piled so many little extras into each track. they used a lot of different production techniques to give the songs their own standalone feeling, while being able to tie them all together with extra sounds and tones that make each song an experience. i just think that's the next natural step in their progression. while they tapped into that feeling a bit with Juturna, it wasn't much, and it's really what would make me love their next album.

i feel like i wrote too much. oh well.

View PostMatt, on 20 March 2012 - 09:08 PM, said:

well i'm white, whites live everywhere

#12 ߣR

ߣR

▪ ▪ ▪

• Key Member
  • 8,343 posts
  • defkids

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:35 PM

View Postvint, on Jan 28 2011, 08:10 PM, said:

Epic folk concept album about Egypt.

this would make me a very happy egyptian

#13 Elia

Elia

many moons

• Key Member
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:26 PM

View Postbearfist, on Jan 28 2011, 09:29 PM, said:

this would make me a very happy egyptian

Are you seriously Egyptian? I'd love that!

To be honest, I want them to stay far away from the whole electronic thing if that makes any sense.
Posted Image

#14 ߣR

ߣR

▪ ▪ ▪

• Key Member
  • 8,343 posts
  • defkids

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:29 PM

View PostElia, on Jan 28 2011, 09:20 PM, said:

Are you seriously Egyptian? I'd love that!
To be honest, I want them to stay far away from the whole electronic thing if that makes any sense.

haha yuuup

#15 marccc

marccc

▀ ▄ █ □▀ █ ▄

• Key Member
  • 6,515 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:39 AM

View Postmike, on Jan 28 2011, 07:21 PM, said:

if i were to be completely honest, i would like their next album to have much more ambience, if i'm saying that right. what i mean is, the songs on BSN sound just like that: songs. while that's certainly not a bad thing, it just doesn't pull me in. there aren't any little things going on in the background, nothing extra, nothing for me to notice every time i go back to listen. with every song, it's a guitar in each ear, bass in the middle, drums in the back, vocals in the front, very cut and dry. they've clearly mastered their songwriting abilities, but i feel like they could do a lot with their production tricks. as an example, look at The Devil and God, by Brand New. that album has so much essence to it. they piled so many little extras into each track. they used a lot of different production techniques to give the songs their own standalone feeling, while being able to tie them all together with extra sounds and tones that make each song an experience. i just think that's the next natural step in their progression. while they tapped into that feeling a bit with Juturna, it wasn't much, and it's really what would make me love their next album.

i feel like i wrote too much. oh well.
i'll get behind this

#16 Rip

Rip

that's doable!

• Key Member
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:12 AM

They're one of those bands that I would love anything they ever do.  So I could care less what they decide to do.  I'll love it no matter what.

#17 FaiNt

FaiNt

kobe sucks

• 809 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:20 AM

View PostElia, on Jan 28 2011, 08:20 PM, said:

Well would you like to expand on that for me? I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say lol

And yes of course, we all want them to do what they love and what feels good to them and keep their music honest, but I'm asking what direction if you could decide would you want them to explore with.

I personally want them to keep the minor tones in and have this dark melodic feel with that ambiance with Ant's epic vocal chords. I want more of your friends are gone type songs.

#18 Rip

Rip

that's doable!

• Key Member
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:39 AM

Well then yeah, I say continue with some stuff with a "darker" feel along with some 5 to 7 minute epics.

#19 marccc

marccc

▀ ▄ █ □▀ █ ▄

• Key Member
  • 6,515 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 04:16 AM

I think the only place for them to go next would have to be an even crisper sound, which might start sounding a bit electronic

If I had to keep it in simple advice, I'd say hopefully they explore a lot more slower tunes, to express their space and environment more, and in that hopefully pursue a cleaner produced "almost gray jazz" style from songs like House Of Leaves and the Suspending Disbelief DEMO.

But I know they'll make the most of what they know.

#20 Elia

Elia

many moons

• Key Member
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:54 AM

View PostFaiNt, on Jan 29 2011, 01:14 AM, said:

Well would you like to expand on that for me? I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say lol

I want them to stay far away from electronica and all it's elements. It's not that some aspects of electric music are bad for some bands (see Kid A), but I just don't think Anthony's voice would fit in well with it.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users