#1 September

September

ninja incognito

• Site Admin
  • 3,915 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:26 PM

Circa Survive vs. Canadian Immigration

a saga of the troubles.

this is an excerpt from the Decoy Music interview with Anthony in 2003 while he was in Saosin that mentions the origin to all the trouble getting into Canada.

DM: So what happened in Texas? I heard you got in a little trouble, can you talk about that it all?
AG: (Laughs) It was actually Kansas.

DM: Kansas, thats what I meant. I heard you wrote a song about it maybe?
AG: (Laughs) We didn't actually write a song about it... I got arrested in Kansas.. we were driving in a caravan with Story of the Year, and me and pretty much everyone else in the van were shooting roman candles out of the van. i guess someone was following us, and took down out license number and called the police. So the police caught up to us and pulled us over.. we were like "nah dude, someone cut us off" but we werent shooting anything off at anybody. Ya know. So the guy was like I don't buy it. They pulled over Story of the Year too, and SOTY were like no, no it was them. The cops come back and say we know it was one of you guys, so you tell us who it was and we will figure it out. I was like fuck it whatever I did it. I shot the bottle rockets out of the window. The guy takes me out of the van, handcuffs me and tells me that i'm being arrested for arson. Apparantly it doesn't rain much in Kansas so i started like a 40 acre brush fire.

DM: Oh shit really?
AG: Yeah. They took me back to the county jail. I got arrested but the charges were all dropped.

DM: So everything got cleared up?
AG: Yeah the charges got dropped from like arson to littering *laughs*. I havent told my parents that yet either, but they're going to findout anyway so whatever.

Circa first got denied in late november 2005 and missed this show:

w/ My Chemical Romance & Thrice
11.27.2005 - Kanata, ON @ Corel Centre 7:00pm $26.50 * CANCELLED (Unable to cross Canadian border)

the Canadian show for the next day was moved to the US:

11.28.2005 - Quebec City, PQ @ Centre De Foire 7:00pm $25/$28 * MOVED (To United States)
11.28.2005 - Niagara Falls, NY @ The Dome Theatre

their blog had this to say about it:

Circa Survive . 11.30.2005 . MySpace Blog
"Apologies to Ottawa for missing the show. Trust me, we wanted to be there. Apparently, if you burn some shit down, other countries tend to be a little hesitant about inviting you across the border.
We drive after the show to just outside of the border again. We wait for official documents that say we are not arsonists. Finally we get through and drive hundreds of miles an hour to the next show which is montreal. The show is crazy. they had to hold doors back for 45 minutes so we would be able to play. When they finally let the kids go there was a stampede to the stage. It was half funny and half scary. Somehow it didn't look like there were that many people although I'm sure it was over a thousand. This crowd was ready to party they'd been waiting all night. There's nothing quite like the sound when the lights click off and a shitload of people start screaming in anticipation of the bands to come. We are fully aware at this point that it would happen for any band but it still feels good. Somehow the nerves are gone for this sort of thing. It was amazing and the crowd was amazing. It was pure fun."

then on April 23, 2006 there was this gem:

Nick Beard . 04.23.2006 . MySpace Blog
"guess who sucks cock?
Canadian imigration. Once again we have been rejected from canada, for the same exact reason that we were rejected last time. Whats bull shit about this? It seems as if the paperwork that we got that allowed us into canada last time, isn't good enough anymore. Now they want more. Well we are going to do our best to get what they need, but unfortunately we are going to miss the vancouver and edmonton shows. We will post a blog tommarow saying whether or not we made it into canada. Everyone that is pissed should call the peace bridge border.
Beard"

i didn't see any official cs response from this altercation with canadian immigration because info on the internet tends to disappear but some random guy wrote:

"this sucks, but they will get through for winnipeg, ant said last time he was here, the reason was cause he burned a tire as a kid, and had some arson charges."

so it looks like Circa had to drop out of these shows:

04.23.2006 - Vancouver, BC @ Croatian Cultural Center 6:45pm *CANCELLED (CS Unable to cross Canadian Border)
04.24.2006 - Edmonton, AB @ Reds 7:45pm *CANCELLED (CS Unable to cross Canadian Border)
04.25.2006 - Calgary, AB @ MacEwan Hall 7:45pm *CANCELLED ? (CS Unable to cross Canadian Border)

then i guess they finally made it through to play this show:

04.27.2006 - Winnipeg, MB @ Ramada Theatre 7:45pm

At some point in November 2007, a Circa fan was conversing with Brendan and he said "are you eve gonig to come see our band play. we aint' coming to canada anymore."

From June to October 2009 Circa Survive was in Canada recording Blue Sky Noise.
Anthony flew home a few times during the recording, so there were a few flights back and forth.
Anthony played a solo show in Toronto while they were recording Blue Sky Noise:

w/ Moneen & The Junction
09.15.2009 - Toronto, ON, CA @ The Horseshoe Tavern

the next show CS played in Canada after the 08.12.2007 show was:

w/ Coheed and Cambria
05.18.2010 - Montreal, QC @ Metropolis

Then on August 15, 2013 and Circa dropped this on us:

Circa Survive . 08.15.2013 . Twitter
"CANADA- Once again due to issues beyond our control we won't make it into your country next week for @RockstarUproar in Toronto. We're working on booking some smaller shows up there soon to make it up to you guys. -Circa"

so this one's cancelled for Circa:

08.20.2013 - Toronto, ON @ Molson Canadian Amphitheatre *CANCELLED [CS Not Able To Cross Border]

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Anthony Green . 06.12.2014 . Instagram
"Getting finger printer so I can play #riotfest in Toronto and hopefully start going to Canada.
It's weird to be getting finger printed and not getting arrested. New experiences ! #musicworship"

Posted Image
Anthony Green . 09.05.2014 . Instagram
"Me and the wiz mean muggin on our way to Canada for the first time in over four years. Who's coming to @riotfest tomorrow ? We play 1:50 at the roots stage"

Posted Image

"Can't believe I actually got into Canada. Now that I'm finally here let's get into some trouble shall we???See you tomorrow at 145 at the riot stage. #riotfest #circasurvive #loonies"

So finally in 2014, Anthony apparently went through some kind of Canadian ID process,
so he should be able to enter the country.

and looking at a list of the shows Circa managed to play in Canada.
It definitely looks like it tapered down to not at all, until 2014.

Also it looks like they made it thru many more times than they didn't.
but when it comes to business it's risky to plan shows not knowing if you'll get over the border or not.

Circa Survive Canadian Shows
02.18.2005 - Toronto, ON @ The Rockit
10.12.2005 - Montreal, QC @ La Sala Rossa 8:00pm $15
10.13.2005 - Toronto, ON @ The Reverb $13.50/$15

11.27.2005 - Kanata, ON @ Corel Centre
11.28.2005 - Quebec City, PQ @ Centre De Foire

11.29.2005 - Montreal, PQ @ Stade Uniprix 7:00pm $26.50/$29.50
11.30.2005 - London, ON @ John Labatt Centre 7:00pm $26.50
12.01.2005 - Mississauga, ON @ Arrow Hall 7:00pm $26.50
12.03.2005 - Thunder Bay, ON @ Warp 9 8:00pm $20/$25
12.05.2005 - Winnipeg, MB @ Winnipeg Convention Centre 7:00pm $26.50
12.06.2005 - Saskatoon, SK @ Credit Union Centre 7:00pm $26.50
12.07.2005 - Calgary, AB @ Calgary Stampede Corral 7:00pm $26.50/$28.50
12.08.2005 - Edmonton, AB @ Shaw Convention Centre 7:00pm $26.50
12.10.2005 - Vancouver, BC @ P.N.E. Forum 7:30pm $26.50

04.23.2006 - Vancouver, BC @ Croatian Cultural Center
04.24.2006 - Edmonton, AB @ Reds
04.25.2006 - Calgary, AB @ MacEwan Hall

04.27.2006 - Winnipeg, MB @ Ramada Theatre 7:45pm
04.28.2006 - Thunder Bay, ON @ Kilroys 8:00pm . $20/22 .
04.30.2006 - Toronto, ON @ Kool Haus 7:00pm
05.01.2006 - Ottawa, ON @ Capital Music Hall 7:45pm
05.02.2006 - Montreal, QC @ Spectrum de Montreal/Le National 7:30pm
07.04.2006 - Toronto, ON @ Opera House
07.03.2007 - Vancouver, BC @ Thunderbird Stadium at UBC
07.05.2007 - Edmonton, AB @ Northlands Park Fairgrounds
08.11.2007 - Barrie, ON @ Burl's Creek Park
08.12.2007 - Montreal, QC @ Parc Jean-Drapeau
05.18.2010 - Montreal, QC @ Metropolis - 8pm
05.19.2010 - Toronto, ON @ The Sound Academy - 8pm

08.20.2013 - Toronto, ON @ Molson Canadian Amphitheatre
09.06.2014 - Toronto, ON @ Downsview Park [Riot Stage]
10.27.2015 - Montreal, QC @ Virgin Mobile Corona Theatre
10.28.2015 - Toronto, ON @ Danforth Music Hall

#2 FaiNt

FaiNt

kobe sucks

• 809 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:03 PM

Wow, wonderful post. You would think that after Anthony is now a grown man, with a family that they will see he is more responsible...but that is why they are canada

#3 Pat

Pat

i wash myself with a rag on a stick

• Key Member
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:40 PM

View PostFaiNt, on 20 August 2013 - 02:03 PM, said:

Wow, wonderful post. You would think that after Anthony is now a grown man, with a family that they will see he is more responsible...but that is why they are canada

what does him having a family have to do with it? a crime is a crime. it sucks that its still a factor 10 years later, but if thats the law they aren't going to change it just because a guy in a band has a family now.

#4 September

September

ninja incognito

• Site Admin
  • 3,915 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:00 PM

I just think it's weird that it would even be an issue
because he might have been arrested for arson
but it sounds like that was dropped
and he only plead guilty to littering.

also the comment about how he might have got arrested
for burning a tire when he was a kid.
he was likely underage so those records should be sealed.
i know US law enforcement can see those records
but immigration on the canadian border can see that? really?
and even so, for burning a tire?
c'mon. most kids do way worse stuff than that. i know i did. thats nothing.

and also i think its very strange how it seems that sometimes they have no problem getting over the border
and then other times they are denied with the same information/history.
it seems that each individual border crossing has its own criteria and latitude for who they let in or not.
it sounds frustrating trying to plan around that.

it seems that bands that tour the US and also play a few shows in canada often have problems at the border in regards to admittance and also selling merch.
it seems that canada has some strict policies/taxes regarding foreigners selling albums, t-shirts, posters or stickers. work permits and such.
i'm not sure how it works but ive read a few stories about bands having all their merch confiscated and apparently destroyed by the border patrol.
and countless bands not being allowed in for whatever reason they want.

http://en.wikipedia...._Canada_by_land

it mentions offenses as a minor. wow. thats pretty ridiculous.
when i went to the other side of the planet we only had to take off our shoes once and ive been arrested twice.
so many horror stories on this topic. so many. id rather be in danger.

i also read that the border patrol googles bands and people to look for info while theyre fucking with people.
so, i wonder if i should just delete this thread or put it somewhere non-public. i dont want to make anything worse. idk.

blame canada.

haha. jk andrew/meu.

#5 FaiNt

FaiNt

kobe sucks

• 809 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:36 AM

View PostPat, on 20 August 2013 - 07:40 PM, said:

what does him having a family have to do with it? a crime is a crime. it sucks that its still a factor 10 years later, but if thats the law they aren't going to change it just because a guy in a band has a family now.

It should be a factor when trying to enter into the country.  It was bargained down to littering for christ sake.  Being a family man should show that he's not some irresponsible teenager who is going to light the country on fire.. perhaps thats not how they do things over there, but it's ridiculous he cannot enter the country at this point of time.

#6 September

September

ninja incognito

• Site Admin
  • 3,915 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:59 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 September

September

ninja incognito

• Site Admin
  • 3,915 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:23 PM

Posted Image
Anthony Green . 06.12.2014 . Instagram
"Getting finger printer so I can play #riotfest in Toronto and hopefully start going to Canada.
It's weird to be getting finger printed and not getting arrested. New experiences ! #musicworship"

#8 September

September

ninja incognito

• Site Admin
  • 3,915 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:17 AM

Posted Image
"Me and the wiz mean muggin on our way to Canada for the first time in over four years. Who's coming to @riotfest tomorrow ? We play 1:50 at the roots stage"

Posted Image

"Can't believe I actually got into Canada. Now that I'm finally here let's get into some trouble shall we???See you tomorrow at 145 at the riot stage. #riotfest #circasurvive #loonies"

#9 FaiNt

FaiNt

kobe sucks

• 809 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 12:11 AM

anthony is a sexy ass man

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users