mandala drum part

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 cducar

cducar

• 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 12:42 AM

I keep trying to figure out what the drum part to mandala is exactly, but its sorta vague because so many sounds are covering others up, do any of you know?

#2 jerrid

jerrid

,;~,;`';.,_oo

• Key Member
  • 1,330 posts
  • Interests:Being at Showbox November 23rd.
  • Facebook Link

Posted 20 August 2007 - 11:30 AM

its in 4/4 time.  Snare pop on 3, coming back into 1 do a  double kick. Meanwhile keep the hi-hat shuffle rocking.

this is just for the intro part. If you figure that out your on your way.

#3 mary.

mary.

I'm Tiger Woods

• Key Member
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:46 PM

Well done rook.

QUOTE(monty @ Sep 9 2008, 04:17 PM) View Post
RD jr. played a black guy so you know he has a fat dick.

#4 cducar

cducar

• 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:51 PM

Thanks for the input, but thats the one of the two parts that I can solidly say I know how to play. The other part is the sort of breakdownish part. If anyojne knows how to play the part in between, that would be greatly appreciated :]

#5 obelisk

obelisk

• 224 posts
  • the radiant sun
  • Myspace Link

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:45 PM

Dude, no body knows what the fuck Steve's doing for that shit.

#6 Marlii

Marlii

llama

• Key Member
  • 4,073 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 04:15 AM

View Postobelisk, on Aug 20 2007, 08:39 PM, said:

srsly.
Steve is so amazing he makes a simple beat sound so hard.
sup.

#7 korcho816

korcho816

I'm New

• 18 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:02 PM

i dunno how simple that beat is... all i can tell is that there's some crazy shit with the toms and the ride going on which is already fairly gnarly because of the movement you have to do (unless you're left handed). if you turn down the bass all the way you can hear the drums a lot clearer and it sounds pretty much like the beat is the same bar repeated throughout the entire part with the exception of a few fills. there's basically only one bar to figure out, and the part before the bridge sounds fairly similar. that's all i got

#8 Up Against The Wall

Up Against The Wall

• 868 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, snowboarding, drinking good beer
  • sumguitarguy
  • 07 Boardie Award

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:36 AM

yeh I cant seem to wrap my head around how hes playing the toms, its all very delicate and subtle but makes it sound awesome.
This thread is now officially dead.

Semi Constructive Criticism Cover
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~jmkovach/semiconcrit.mp3

#9 MyMyMyNailsPeelBack

MyMyMyNailsPeelBack

• 180 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 12:41 AM

View Postobelisk, on Aug 20 2007, 10:39 PM, said:

Ok, that was fuckin' funny. Just came out of nowhere with that. But that is one of my favorite drum parts from Circa and one of the reasons I love them is because of Steve. His chops on "Stop The Fuckin' Car" are soooooo god damn amazing. I love how he treats that song as well as just about every song on Juturna. The drumming on On Letting Go seems a little more straightforward and less open then what goes on on most of Juturna but I still love the record. "Mandala" is one of those songs that really brings back that magic from Juturna, along with "Semi-Constructive Criticism."

#10 obelisk

obelisk

• 224 posts
  • the radiant sun
  • Myspace Link

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:47 PM

View PostMyMyMyNailsPeelBack, on Aug 28 2007, 02:35 AM, said:

Ok, that was fuckin' funny. Just came out of nowhere with that. But that is one of my favorite drum parts from Circa and one of the reasons I love them is because of Steve. His chops on "Stop The Fuckin' Car" are soooooo god damn amazing. I love how he treats that song as well as just about every song on Juturna. The drumming on On Letting Go seems a little more straightforward and less open then what goes on on most of Juturna but I still love the record. "Mandala" is one of those songs that really brings back that magic from Juturna, along with "Semi-Constructive Criticism."

I love you/you are so right.

#11 adammmmmm

adammmmmm

I'm New

• 37 posts
  • Interests:cool shit.
  • xhorsesinthesky
  • Myspace Link

Posted 03 September 2007 - 06:08 PM

This song is ACTUALLY fairly simple, just 4/4 using the toms in the manner you'd use splashes/fx cymbols.

all it is is salsa drumming in 4/4.

:(

sounds amazing and dance-y though.

#12 mike golen

mike golen

Hanna's Fav Pokemon

• Site Admin
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 12:58 AM

View PostMyMyMyNailsPeelBack, on Aug 28 2007, 01:35 AM, said:

damn straight.  semi-constructive is my fav song on the album.  it's so powerful

#13 obelisk

obelisk

• 224 posts
  • the radiant sun
  • Myspace Link

Posted 04 September 2007 - 07:05 PM

View Postadammmmmm, on Sep 3 2007, 08:02 PM, said:

This song is ACTUALLY fairly simple, just 4/4 using the toms in the manner you'd use splashes/fx cymbols.

:(

This is half true. But you have to remember that he's hitting the toms, and the splashes and the symbols all at the same time. Really fast. And the crazy spaced out guitar parts add to the effect, making it sound totally nuts.

#14 cometoaustralia

cometoaustralia

Bringin' Tha Noize, Bringin' Tha FUNK!

• 828 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:46 AM

View Postobelisk, on Aug 21 2007, 02:39 PM, said:

not even steve...especially not steve.

#15 MJ62992

MJ62992

• 153 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:38 PM

Somebody should try to figure out the guitars too. Colin and Brendan are ridiculous in this song.
The way they left us all in the dark
They buried the sun so I carried the torch
The way they left their eyes on the prize
I've settled for less and it's more than enough
Just say when

#16 tgijustin

tgijustin

• 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:09 PM

View Postadammmmmm, on Sep 3 2007, 04:02 PM, said:

;)

Im not sure about simple... my brother told me I could never play it because I only have two arms.
apparently Mandala requires you to have three or four

#17 Antchovi

Antchovi

• 1 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:27 PM

View Posttgijustin, on Jul 14 2010, 05:03 PM, said:

Im not sure about simple... my brother told me I could never play it because I only have two arms.
apparently Mandala requires you to have three or four

Haha Steve is just very fast, and has his cymbals right next to his toms, I'm also a drummer and have tried this beat many times. The beat at the chorus on the bass drum is just 1&2&3&4&, so 8 bass hits each measure. The snare is on the 'e' of 2 and then 4, this pattern repeats. In between the snare beats is a frenzy of cymbal and tom hits. Just try doing tom hits first. It works for me if I hit the floor tom and middle tom. Mainly use the floor tom and use the middle tom every one or two beats. The cymbals are just tapped in between the tom and snare hits. So once you get used to playing with out the cymbals, it will be easy to add them in. And then every phrase (four measures I think) is a fill, rolls and stuff like that. I had to practice a lot. Let me know how it goes for you.
EDIT: I just watched Steve play it and I was kinda wrong. Base drum and snare stay the same but he does a 1 2 3 4 beat on the crash cymbal, and uses his left hand to hit the toms when he isn't hitting the snare. And every two measures I think he does like a crash or fill and then uses his right hand for the floor tom before going back to the cymbal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users