Circa Survive "Violent Waves" Discussion (08.28.2012)

Circa Survive CS LP4 2012

• Please log in to reply
1682 replies to this topic

#981 Dylan

Dylan

Look at my beautiful erect vagina, please

• Key Member
  • 4,574 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:10 PM

View PostChelsea, on 01 August 2012 - 04:04 PM, said:

It's not that we don't appreciate criticism of the more recent works but for me personally, I'm sick of fucking hearing from people that don't really even enjoy Circa bitch and moan and say "Juturna was their only good album. Everything else sucked". It's like the people who say "Through Being Cool is the only good Saves the Day album". So yeah, I get pissed. I get they're different. I like one album more than I like another but I wasn't disappointed with BSN or OLG or Juturna. I don't know, I don't want to hear the same album again and again and again. I love change and I like Circa's change. Maybe musicians can appreciate that more than other music lovers. I just get bummed/annoyed when people don't see what I see or hear what I hear.

this... and Circa is more than their albums to me... I don't know how to explain, it's personal...and I'm sure that connection that I have does influence how I hear their music
QUOTE(Elia @ Apr 4 2011, 12:55 AM) View Post
Dylan just....wow.

dylanmurphy.net

#982 Pat

Pat

i wash myself with a rag on a stick

• Key Member
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:52 PM

View PostFaiNt, on 01 August 2012 - 05:00 PM, said:

Seriously, OLG sounds nothing like juturna. In fact, thats a great way to evolve as a band with what they did with OLG.  BSN was entirely different, and def. had some "formulaic radio-rock songs" such as imaginary enemy, get out, i felt free. Imaginary enemy is a good song in itself but it isnt circa great. You say you accept criticism but when it is given it is referred to as crying and whining. I don't want them to write exactly like JUT or OLG but i do wish they keep some elements like house of leaves or stop the fucking car or the greatest lie. I have to hear the entire album but sharp practice isn't a great song in their catalog and neither is suitcase (kinda bland)

i didn't say it was MY opinion that juturna and OLG sounded the same. a ton of the discussion on here when OLG came out was that it was referred to as "juturna 2.0."

there is a huge difference between criticism and crying and whining. most of the people complaining about violent waves are crying and whining because we haven't heard the album, yet they are so quick to say its not what they wanted to hear. its crying and whining when all people say is "i wish they would go back to how the sounded on juturna." thats you. thats what you did. it gets old. we've heard that complaint for over 5 years. after a while its really annoying. i'm not expecting everyone to like everything the band does. thats not what this is about and that would make for a boring discussion. if you have something constructive to bring to the discussion, do it. but if all you're going to do is say "i want juturna again wahh wahh wahh," don't do it. its pointless and its been said a thousand times before.

#983 FaiNt

FaiNt

kobe sucks

• 809 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:01 PM

View PostPat, on 01 August 2012 - 05:52 PM, said:

i didn't say it was MY opinion that juturna and OLG sounded the same. a ton of the discussion on here when OLG came out was that it was referred to as "juturna 2.0."

there is a huge difference between criticism and crying and whining. most of the people complaining about violent waves are crying and whining because we haven't heard the album, yet they are so quick to say its not what they wanted to hear. its crying and whining when all people say is "i wish they would go back to how the sounded on juturna." thats you. thats what you did. it gets old. we've heard that complaint for over 5 years. after a while its really annoying. i'm not expecting everyone to like everything the band does. thats not what this is about and that would make for a boring discussion. if you have something constructive to bring to the discussion, do it. but if all you're going to do is say "i want juturna again wahh wahh wahh," don't do it. its pointless and its been said a thousand times before.

You just showed how close minded you are lol.  I said i would've liked them to keep some elements they experimented with in ex. songs such as house of leaves/car etc.Expanding on doing something new and evolving those sounds even more so like they did with OLG. BSN and Sharp practice were pretty straight forward formula songs. While some most done right and missing the spot * like im enemy, parts of sharp practice*. The great things about JUT/OLG is that each individual track was awesome and felt like they spent hours working on perfecting it.  Now they have what it seems like good album filler songs which is disappointing. You are no better, you add to the whinning and wah wah, "wah you guys are talking about what you would hope for but i rather just generalize the entire thing and cry cause you gush over every single thing wah"

#984 ߣR

ߣR

▪ ▪ ▪

• Key Member
  • 8,343 posts
  • Interests:art, drawing
  • defkids

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:42 PM

faint you said it made you sad that they changed. That is a complaint dude. No other way to put it. I know it wasn't in that last statement. It was in a previous one. If it makes you feel lame that you complain about it then that's your problem. I'm just calling it like i see it. Complain all you want.

I really just feel that all this bashing on the "Straight forward radio rock friendly" issues are from people not looking at the songs deep enough for what they are. Those lyrics don't sound like radio friendly songs to me. You guys just obviously value a certain sound more than another; which is fine. But it doesn't make what they do wrong or insincere. Not everyone is after the same things you are. If you are a musician and really enjoy that type of sound they presented  then why don't you expand on it? They already kicked that idea around and moved on it seems.

#985 Pat

Pat

i wash myself with a rag on a stick

• Key Member
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:55 PM

POPULAR

View PostFaiNt, on 01 August 2012 - 06:01 PM, said:

You just showed how close minded you are lol.  I said i would've liked them to keep some elements they experimented with in ex. songs such as house of leaves/car etc.Expanding on doing something new and evolving those sounds even more so like they did with OLG. BSN and Sharp practice were pretty straight forward formula songs. While some most done right and missing the spot * like im enemy, parts of sharp practice*. The great things about JUT/OLG is that each individual track was awesome and felt like they spent hours working on perfecting it.  Now they have what it seems like good album filler songs which is disappointing. You are no better, you add to the whinning and wah wah, "wah you guys are talking about what you would hope for but i rather just generalize the entire thing and cry cause you gush over every single thing wah"

yes, because not wanting the same things to be said over and over again is the true definition of close minded.

people keep making it a point to say that something is more poppy or that its more of a straight forward song. songs can be poppy and straight forward and still be good songs if they are done by the right people. like dylan said, there is more to circa survive than just doing the same things with their music that they started with. there are very few bands that i trust with their own music. circa is one of those bands. even if its not a clone of juturna like so many people want, we know there is going to be something different about the music that will be unique to them.

i don't know how you can call a song album filler when you haven't heard the album. its like people are in such a hurry to rush to judgement. they listen to a circa song, it doesn't sound like the first album so they decide they hate it. to me, that is being close minded. give the music a chance to sink in. wait until we can hear circa's take on this type of music. not everyone is going to want them to do the same thing, i get that. if you've been following the band for 6 or 7 years, you might want them to try something new. personally, i'd like to hear what they could do with a more poppy sound because i think that with how talented the guys are, they could write some really unique, catchy songs. it would just be something different from what we've heard in the past. if you've only recently gotten into them, you'll have a different opinion because you were pulled in by a certain sound and thats all you associate with this band.

they tried a new sound with BSN and even though some people might not like that sound as a whole, it produced some of the best songs this band has written. without the band going for something new, those songs would be there. i know that they could keep going in the same direction, writing the same type of music over and over and it would still sound pretty good. but anyone who has a passion knows that you aren't going to have nearly the same drive if you aren't challenging yourself by doing something you've never done before. i like everything that the band has done. its not because i "gush over every single thing" or i'm some annoying as shit, idiot fanboy that blindly worships the band. its just how its worked out. there are some songs i don't like as much as others, but i'm not going to get upset because they tried something new and talk in circles about the typical "their old stuff was so much better."

#986 Genomesayin'?

Genomesayin'?

Dad of the boards is back...

• Key Member
  • 3,581 posts
  • Interests:I like photography. Trying to make that money but I'm pretty much a starving artist. Heres my webpage. http://geneedgarphoto.weebly.com
    but soon it will just be geneedgarphoto.com
  • papadunk2001
  • 07 Boardie Award

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:25 PM

people just need to realize that bands mature and that different things may influence them from album to album. If they kept putting out Juturna type music I'd probably get tired of them. Do you still act and think the same way you did 6 years ago? Highly doubtful.

#987 Chelsea

Chelsea

• Circa Mod
  • 3,777 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:14 PM

POPULAR

I'll be honest: they're my favorite band. They have been since I was 15 and now I am 22. I'm going to love everything they write. Everything. No matter how it is reviewed or perceived. I'm going to love it. It clearly makes my opinion a bit biased but I am prideful enough to believe that I have good taste in music and that's why I think their albums are generally beautiful.

#988 Genomesayin'?

Genomesayin'?

Dad of the boards is back...

• Key Member
  • 3,581 posts
  • Interests:I like photography. Trying to make that money but I'm pretty much a starving artist. Heres my webpage. http://geneedgarphoto.weebly.com
    but soon it will just be geneedgarphoto.com
  • papadunk2001
  • 07 Boardie Award

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:22 PM

They are mine as well. Their music just relaxes me and takes me to another place.

#989 flycirca62

flycirca62

• 8 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:58 PM

View PostChelsea, on 01 August 2012 - 08:14 PM, said:

I'll be honest: they're my favorite band. They have been since I was 15 and now I am 22. I'm going to love everything thu write. Everything. No matter how it is reviewed or perceived. I'm going to love it. It clearly makes my opinion a bit biased but I am prideful enough to believe that I have good taste in music and that's why I think their albums are generally beautiful.

Well said. I'm essentially the same way - got into them at the end of 2006 and my life changed the moment I heard Juturna. Can't really explain it, but their music is just so powerful. I'm forever in debt to Circa - I've always found happiness and meaning when listening to them. It's amazing that music can do that. I'll be a fan of anything and everything they do.

#990 Lazarus

Lazarus

kirk lazarus

• 396 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:24 PM

If Sharp Practice was "radio-friendly" as you all seem to think, I would listen to the radio 24/7. I wouldn't even be able to sleep without the radio on.

#991 Stormy

Stormy

Key Member

• Key Member
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:29 PM

View PostLazarus, on 01 August 2012 - 09:24 PM, said:

If Sharp Practice was "radio-friendly" as you all seem to think, I would listen to the radio 24/7. I wouldn't even be able to sleep without the radio on.
:cookiemonster:

#992 nano134

nano134

Little Bunny

• 108 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:16 PM

Sharp Practice is now on the Violent Waves Tour EP. Dont know if anyone else posted this yet.

Hey everyone,
Earlier this week, Rolling Stone premiered a new song from Violent Waves called "Sharp Practice." Today you can download the song FOR FREE as part of a 4-song Tour Compilation EP including songs from the other bands we're taking on tour.

FREE 4-Song Violent Waves Tour Compilation EP
Download Now

1. Circa Survive - "Sharp Practice"
2. Touche Amore - "Amends"
3. Balance and Composure - "Quake"
4. O'Brother - "Machines Part 1"

i hope that it's worth it,
but i'll never know.

#993 OliJ

OliJ

I Don't Post Much

• 140 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:02 PM

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in the world who has loved every song they've put out...

View PostLazarus, on 01 August 2012 - 09:24 PM, said:

This comment is the reason why we need a thumbs up button like LATR

#994 Elia

Elia

many moons

• Key Member
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:30 PM

POPULAR

we do...
Posted Image

#995 OliJ

OliJ

I Don't Post Much

• 140 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:41 PM

View PostElia, on 01 August 2012 - 11:30 PM, said:

we do...
I see the 0 for its rating but no thumbs up or down next to it so LATR's is better.. also they have spacebucks

#996 Elia

Elia

many moons

• Key Member
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:46 AM

you're at negative two now...
Posted Image

#997 Chelsea

Chelsea

• Circa Mod
  • 3,777 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:22 AM

View PostGenomesayin, on 01 August 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

They are mine as well. Their music just relaxes me and takes me to another place.

View Postflycirca62, on 01 August 2012 - 08:58 PM, said:

Well said. I'm essentially the same way - got into them at the end of 2006 and my life changed the moment I heard Juturna. Can't really explain it, but their music is just so powerful. I'm forever in debt to Circa - I've always found happiness and meaning when listening to them. It's amazing that music can do that. I'll be a fan of anything and everything they do.

So what are we all bugging about? We're going to love it anyway, so does it matter which older album VW will sound more like? This is just SUCH a silly argument to have within a group of real, honest Circa fans. Save your passionate throw-downs for some idiots on the street who try to tell you "Juturna was okay. But the others sucked".

View PostOliJ, on 01 August 2012 - 11:02 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in the world who has loved every song they've put out...

This comment is the reason why we need a thumbs up button like LATR

Take a look at where you are. You're on the Circa Board talking to crazed Circa fans.

#998 OliJ

OliJ

I Don't Post Much

• 140 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:08 AM

View PostElia, on 02 August 2012 - 01:46 AM, said:

you're at negative two now...
That's actually pretty funny

Also my comment about being the only Person who loves all their stuff was a joke because everyone is arguing

#999 Anon

Anon

• 7 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:35 AM

ITT: Semi Constructive Critisism

#1000 Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule

ya turkey

• 641 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:01 PM

View PostAnon, on 02 August 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

ITT: Semi Constructive Critisism