Circa Survive Board
vint

Circa Survive "Juturna" Discussion

Juturna is the awesome. OLG is the titties. They're two different, equally amazing albums in my opinion. They give me the same emotionally overwhelmed feeling, but it's like it's in a different setting. I remember reading somewhere where Anthony said that OLG was inspired heavily by Spring and Summer. I guess that I feel that way about that OLG and I feel really wintery when I listen to Juturna. Can't fucking wait for winter.

i think his writing for the most part on juturna was about, pressure, trying to be the person he wanted, and some about love. i think on letting go, wel at least at surface, is about some of that, and his search for god, and his battle of whether or not he belives in god, and if so why god isnt helping him. but i gotta give it up for juturna, theres some good tracks on on letting go, well all of them. but juturna was just amazing to me

What does Juturna have to do with circa? why did they name the cd juturna

i think they just thought it was good idea to name it that because juturna being a goddess of fountains, wells, and springs meant a new beginning. Usually in movies and literature water represents (re)birth or death (in this case rebirth) and this new situation they were all in kind of suited that aspect. I know there is an interview where they explain it and i think it's something like that, but i could be wrong. Regardless this explanation totally makes sense to me anyway.

I'm still not sure about which i like better between Juturna and OLG.

Juturna very much speaks to me in more ways than one, but OLG is a bit more grown up. Kind of tackling things most people have trouble figuring out and i think they got me right when i was struggling in that phase.

Juturna is still great album and i pretty much listen to my favorite tracks on it at least once a day.

i think they just thought it was good idea to name it that because juturna being a goddess of fountains, wells, and springs meant a new beginning. Usually in movies and literature water represents (re)birth or death (in this case rebirth) and this new situation they were all in kind of suited that aspect. I know there is an interview where they explain it and i think it's something like that, but i could be wrong. Regardless this explanation totally makes sense to me anyway.

Or Colin was just high again and they made all that stuff up so they didn't have to blame everything on weed. :(

Or Colin was just high again and they made all that stuff up so they didn't have to blame everything on weed. :(

ehh pot inspiration is too played out

ehh pot inspiration is too played out

..and yet from what I heard that's how Colin came up with the band name.

i get it now. it does mean rebirth i have heard that before but didn't understand it because i was thinking in the story of juturna does she represent rebirth or some thing? but its not that its that she is the god of fountains and fountains are are used in baptising and others things in other cultures over all just meaning starting over.

juturna is the benchmark for this band. when i first heard it in the late spring of 2005 i was addicted instantly. i still listen to it over and over and it never ceases to amaze and excite me. its one of those albums that you can listen to again and again and still gather a new personal meaning. its hard to compare to on letting go because both albums are completely different in mood and inspiration.

as for the name, i think i remember seeing an interview where anthony said it just sounded right and later i think i read that they kind of assimilated it to the era of survival the time of being alive or something. such a strange pairing of two words that stands together in perfect unison; i think you can make your own justification for the reasons behind it.

Juturna will always be gold for me. On Letting Go is incredible in it's own right. I don't think I would compare the two, however.

Yeah the two cannot be compared but I still like Juturna the best. I think it could/should go down as one of the best indie/alt/whatever albums in recent history. Maybe im just biased because i LOVE the sound circa has and all. Some reviews or critics say it has its flaws (songs sounding alike, etc) so therefore it prolly would never be considered one of the best. But at least it goes down as the best overall album that I've ever heard. I could just listen to it over and over and never get bored of any of the songs.

Another part of this post is, i think the strongest/deepest/darkest lyrics on the whole album is on Always Getting What You Want. I mean if you just look at them and think about what they say:

"Borders that we say are policing you back to their arms.

Tension to take, pills that'll make you feel higher inside.

Do you often look back on us, feeling confidently?

Would it make any difference if I wasn't late,

Or I'd been too angry to show?

The sovereign statement's wrong.

It's a bylaw and a valiant one

To honor hopeful thoughts.

It's the talent, not the promo shots

Story has shown you all felt alone.

Even if... if the sound it makes when it's tightening,

Sweet winding up of a mandolin hurts your fingers

And you try to hold on but it's not quite working.

This reminds me of the sound you make when we disagree.

Even if you've been so close you're not alone anymore,

Still we grow.

Still we grow.

Even if it reminds the sounds you always used to make."

I mean they have just so much like intensity behind them. "Story has shown you all felt alone" i mean that is some deep stuff

Juturna > On Letting Go

Yeah the two cannot be compared but I still like Juturna the best.

I'm sorry, I just don't get how the two can't be compared.

It's the exact same record with different words. Is OLG a bad record? No. But it's EASILY comparable to Juturna. No progression whatsoever.

I'm sorry, I just don't get how the two can't be compared.

It's the exact same record with different words. Is OLG a bad record? No. But it's EASILY comparable to Juturna. No progression whatsoever.

They are night and day to my ear, I don't understand how anyone that has listened to both albums more then 5 times can possibly say this.

when i heard YEWturna first, it sent me away to a realm of audio i did not know could be achieved. Inspiration and a different light for me.

i want them to almost get fucked up on drugs and make a crazy out their cd, hahahhahah joking. ;)

Juturna is a much darker, sparser, deeper album. Circa Survive almost sounds like a parody of themselves on On Letting Go. They took the most instantly recognizable traits of Juturna (high-pitched vocals, delay pedals), and they created a poppier version. Which is not to say that On Letting Go is bad, but the highs on Juturna are so much higher. Juturna was an album that changed things; On Letting Go feels like a placeholder... maybe even a step back, depending on how you look at it.

Juturna is a much darker, sparser, deeper album. Circa Survive almost sounds like a parody of themselves on On Letting Go. They took the most instantly recognizable traits of Juturna (high-pitched vocals, delay pedals), and they created a poppier version. Which is not to say that On Letting Go is bad, but the highs on Juturna are so much higher. Juturna was an album that changed things; On Letting Go feels like a placeholder... maybe even a step back, depending on how you look at it.

Couldn't have said it better myself