Circa Survive Board
vint

Circa Survive "Juturna" Discussion

They are night and day to my ear, I don't understand how anyone that has listened to both albums more then 5 times can possibly say this.

I agree.

Musically i love Juturna more than OLG, but i think lyrically OLG owns Juturna, IMO.

Juturna gets a 9 in my book.

On Letting Go is a 6, maybe a 7.

I agree...but olg id say a 7.5... 6 is too close to a MEH rating imo..

I agree...but olg id say a 7.5... 6 is too close to a MEH rating imo..

Well, considering I got tired of OLG after about a month and have had no desire to pick it up again, I kind of feel "MEH" about it.

I almost was going to say Juturna gets an 8. Just because, in the whole spectrum of things, there are many better albums. But that album is excellent and I'm not going to argue with that.

Well, considering I got tired of OLG after about a month and have had no desire to pick it up again, I kind of feel "MEH" about it.

I almost was going to say Juturna gets an 8. Just because, in the whole spectrum of things, there are many better albums. But that album is excellent and I'm not going to argue with that.

There are many more albums that are technically better and also more significant, but these two are the ones that I keep coming back to.

Its interesting to see how differently people react to music - for the most case I have really similar music taste to you and the other people that don't like OLG as much, but it's probably my favorite of the two. Juturna is without a doubt the more beautiful of the two but I find that I have to be in the right mood. I think I listened to it like 2 times a day when it came out until OLG came......so I may have just burned out on it.

But this is the JUTURNA thread!

Maybe this is weird but this album is so organic to me. It reminds me of walking through a marsh or a slimy strange creature, much like the picture on the disc. The opening of the great golden baby is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Juturna. Viscous, bubbly and flowing, yet somehow so perfect and smooth in its execution.

Maybe this is weird but this album is so organic to me. It reminds me of walking through a marsh or a slimy strange creature, much like the picture on the disc. The opening of the great golden baby is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Juturna. Viscous, bubbly and flowing, yet somehow so perfect and smooth in its execution.

well said

Juturna makes me feel fear. Not like, "Ooh, this music is creepy," but more that the overall emotion I get from the record is fear. I can't even pinpoint the source of the fear, which makes it that much more terrifying. It's just like a vague, faceless hint at a hidden horror. It's very subtle. It's one of my favorite moods in music for some reason, even though it's really rare. The only other albums I get the same feeling from are Radiohead's Hail to the Thief, Brand New's The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me, Talk Talk's Laughing Stock, and Deftones' White Pony.

^ in addition to that id say albums like deloused, anything perfect circle, and even such electronic artists like thievery corporation have pulled it off.

Juturna makes me feel fear. Not like, "Ooh, this music is creepy," but more that the overall emotion I get from the record is fear. I can't even pinpoint the source of the fear, which makes it that much more terrifying. It's just like a vague, faceless hint at a hidden horror. It's very subtle. It's one of my favorite moods in music for some reason, even though it's really rare. The only other albums I get the same feeling from are Radiohead's Hail to the Thief, Brand New's The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me, Talk Talk's Laughing Stock, and Deftones' White Pony.

YES, GOD YES on those other albums, every one. Same feeling. I never thought of it as fear, but the apprehension of the next measure along with a prevailing minor but not depressing tone. Thats a perfect way to describe it.

I just assumed nobody else on here listened to Deftones, dismissing them as a mainstream rock band. I also think that Brand New probably had the best album of last year.

I just assumed nobody else on here listened to Deftones, dismissing them as a mainstream rock band. I also think that Brand New probably had the best album of last year.

Deftones are the only redeeming feature of the hideous mess that was known as nu-metal. They are smarter than their peers, they have better influences, and if they had started with White Pony, I don't think they ever would have been associated with KoRn, Papa Roach, or any of that other garbage. They haven't reached the heights of White Pony again, in my opinion. The self-titled album was decent, and Saturday Night Wrist was good. But White Pony is their masterpiece.

And I didn't think much great music came out last year, but Brand New, mewithoutYou, Comets On Fire, Vaux, and the Hold Steady were highlights. The Devil and God... is a great album.

Oh yeah, this is the Juturna thread. "D00d, J00turna is the shiznazz! It's almost as g00d as 0n Letting G0, which is the best album EVAR! lololllololol!!!1!!!!"

juturna is way ahead of olg in my book, its just a much more cohesive album to me.. olg is like a disc full of single songs that dont tie into one another as well. it seems like they tried to make the music easier to comprehend.. i pretty much heard everything it had to offer in a month and havent listened to it much since.. juturna is like the a weird baby that you cant take your eyes off of... .. actually idk what im saying, i need some sleep...

ahh, me too.. it took awhile for me to get into it and really hear all the shit that was going on, but when it took hold it reallly took hold. i remember days i would get home from a long stressful day of work, put that cd on, and just the sound of the opening guitars on holding would start to relax my muscles and get me to calm down. i think its beauty is in its uniqueness...

One of my least favorite songs when i first listened to it was Stop the Fuckin Car, i just couldnt get into it. Now i think it is the staple of the CD, just the many different tempo changes. It starts like in a mysterious haze and then the drums kick in "your face is light and cocaine white" and then we have the momentous "spinning lights" part followed by some of the best lyrics on the CD, "dont stop talking to me i havent been listening" And probably my favorite part of the song as far as music goes with the "cut me gently cut me out of mind" And this cycle just kind goes on throughout the song. Its just great and I think encompasses the main feel of the CD.