Circa Survive Board
Lauren

Quick Question Thread

is there any site or place that I could possibly find a hard copy of the Jeer at Rome EP?
not that i know of. i have never seen them on ebay or any other site for purchase.

they were self-made by the band. the exact number made is unknown.

they were sold or handed out at their shows back in the summer of 2000.

thats really all i know besides whats written in the album art.

frontandback.jpg

inside.jpg

Cdart.jpg

http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q17/hes...at%20Rome%20Cd/

Can someone answer this please.

Why does "Act Appalled" on Juturna sound like a worse than on the Inuit Sessions? Was this intentional?

Can someone answer this please.
probably not.

what differences are you hearing?

as far as i know, act appalled and the great golden baby from the inuit sessions are the exact same mixes as are on juturna.

filewise; there are a few differences:

(both albums were ripped into my computer from the original compact discs.)

my inuit files of those two song are two seconds longer than my juturna files.

there is a subtle volume difference between the two but looks very miniscule.

if there are differences in mixing or mastering and if it was intentional, the band or engineers would have to clue us in. ijdk.

even when act appalled was first released via myspace & purevolume on 02/07/05,

it sounded like the same mix as what's on the albums.

sure it was low-fi and streamed but imo still seemed like the same exact mix of the song to me.

no unmastered versions, like what we heard in the esao bsn speedpainting or other circa vids,

has ever been publicly released for any songs on inuit, juturna, or olg.

though, i do know there is an unmastered version of olg that was released to reviewers

but it has never surfaced to the public. hopefully one day it will.

what medium are you listening to?

the records, the cds, mp3's or flac's?

even if they sound absolutely different to you it's possible that they started as the same exact data.

records are unique. no two records are completely identical.

the process in which they are made is not perfect. the copies degrade over time as the source plate dulls.

the materials the vinyl is composed of is a factor in the sound and also its longevity.

playing a record with a needle causes physical damage to that record.

the same is true of magnetic tape. each swipe across the play heads slightly repositions and removes the domains on the tape.

cds are different. even burned cd-r's (duplication) are close but when done professionally (replication) and correctly,

the information on that disc is identical to any other replicated disc and the source data does not degrade.

also they are read optically with a laser, causing very very little physical damage to the data layer of the disc.

if they were files downloaded from the internet, that means that they were ripped from the cd's

likely by different people who used different cd drives and different software in their signal flow.

the filetypes & bitrates are yet another step for the data to get skewed. different encoders encode differently.

very similarly for the most part but subtlly different in regards to frequency bands and volumes.

its true that they are very likely the same 1's and 0's,

but 1's and 0's are meaningless without something to interpret it

and then for your speakers to interpret that.

then for your ears and mind to interpret that.

each interpretor in each chain is individual and reacts slightly differently.

everything is unique. movement is unstopable. change and variance are constant.

lmao september getting into the science of sound

They are the same mikkeyy, I went back and compared them after not ever noticing such a thing, and Juturna's version of Act Appalled is NOT shittier quality.

On the Act Appalled on Juturna it sounds liek the instruments are flooded out by Anthony's voice, But on the Inuit it sounds all good, maybe my computer fucked up while burning my friends CD? Its all good though

on Always Getting What you Want, near the end when anthony repeats "still we grow" and then he sings something kind of in the background. Does he say "even if it reminds me of the sound you always used to make" or "even if i dream of the sound you always used to make"?

I think it sounds likes reminds me, every lyric site says reminds me, throughout the song it says reminds me, yet this one person keeps telling me its dream...

on Always Getting What you Want, near the end when anthony repeats "still we grow" and then he sings something kind of in the background. Does he say "even if it reminds me of the sound you always used to make" or "even if i dream of the sound you always used to make"?

I think it sounds likes reminds me, every lyric site says reminds me, throughout the song it says reminds me, yet this one person keeps telling me its dream...

@ 2:55, i'm hearing: "even reminds me of the sound you always used to make"

Do creature club members get to go in first in line ahead of everyone else?

Hi (:

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a picture of the girl by herself from the On Letting Go album cover.

The only one I could find is this:

link

but the picture is much too small. Is there any bigger pictures of that? I tried to make it bigger but all it did was get very pixelated.....

Much thanks if you can help ;)

Hi (:

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a picture of the girl by herself from the On Letting Go album cover.

The only one I could find is this:

link

but the picture is much too small. Is there any bigger pictures of that? I tried to make it bigger but all it did was get very pixelated.....

Much thanks if you can help ;)

i dont know of any bigger image of the balloon and the girl by themselves.

but we have a very high res image of the full olg album cover.

http://circaboard.com/index.php?showtopic=...st&p=214199

that might depend on the venue and how close the rehearsal time is to the opening of the venue

when I went we got to go in without waiting in a line (but there never really was a line to begin with) but after that we had to go back outside and wait. there were people that weren't creature club in front of me but it'll be early so you can probably get a good spot in line still afterwards

but if the time is really close to the venue opening they might let you hang out in there, I dunno

Forgive me if this was discussed before, but does anyone know if they have any post-rock influences/mentioned post-rock bands they like?
Brendan's inspirations and/or influences:

Favorite Bands:

Pink Floyd, Sunny Day Real Estate, Tool, Pantera, Clutch, Soundgarden,

Bob Marley, Jeremy Enigk, Nick Drake, M. Ward, Led Zeppelin, The Doors,

A Life Once Lost, NOFX, Portugal The Man, The Christmas LIghts, Bjork,

Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Nirvana, Pearl Jam

Favorite Albums:

Pink FLoyd - Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon.

Sunny Day Real Estate - all records.

Jeremy Enigk - Return of the Frog Queen

Paul Simon - Graceland

Pearl Jam - Ten, VS.

Nirvana - Nevermind, In Uteros

Bjork - Vespertine

Tool - Undertow, Aenima

The Christmas Lights - Walk LIke a Human

Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger

Led Zeppelin - I, II, III, IV, Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti

Grateful Dead - Terrapin Station

Deftones - White Pony, Adrenaline

Nick Drake - Pink Moon, Five Leaves Left

M. Ward - End of Amnesia

A Life Once Lost - A Great Artist

The Beatles - White Album, Seargant Peppers, Rubber Soul

A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory

At The Drive In - Relationship of Command

NOFX - The Longest Line, Punk In Drublic

Life of Agony - River Runs Red

Sepultura - Chaos A.D.

Pantera - Far Beyond Driven, The Great Southern Trendkill

Ben Folds Five - The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner

Favorite Songs:

Pink Floyd's "Time",

Sunny Day's "How it Feels to be Something",

Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game",

Janis Joplin's "Summertime",

Rush's "The Necromancer"

i remember reading somewhere that he listened to tons of king crimson when recording/writing for juturna. I don't remember if the source was reliable.

Sort of reiterating what someone already said but it probably does come down to the venue mostly. The time that I was able to do the soundcheck was at a House of Blues venue and they already have a pass the line program if you're willing to pay $10-15 extra on food or something. But I essentially waited in line before doing the soundcheck (although at the time there were very few people and the other couple of people at the front of the line were in the club as well). My soundcheck was relatively late (around 4, compared to some venues that I know had theirs around 2) and basically once we got out, they arranged it that the creature club usb's worked just like Pass The Line. So we were mixed in with other people who got the Pass the Line deal and technically I got to be a little further up because people knew I was one of the first in line earlier. Hopefully it can work out for you where you can still be ahead of at least some people.