Circa Survive Board
insulttogingery

Circa Survive: Alternative Press Interview/Article

New video on the site

Also, bigger version of the next AP Cover

thumbnail_8.jpg

"With their ambitious new album, the pride of Doylestown, Pennsylvania, are poised to transcend everything from their post-hardcore past to the confines of the scene. And if things get dark along the way, they have each other to fall back on."

Just got my issue of AP.

Holy SHIT that is an amazing story and article. Deep stuff and congratulations to Anthony and Meredith being pregnant again! and with a less than 1% chance of losing it!

Is this already on store shelves? I gotta go pick a copy up.

Yeah is it? If it is I also need to pick up a copy.

That was a really good interview/article. It definitely shed a lot of light onto the lives of the band members outside of the studio or whatever. I found the entire read quite interesting, particularly the part about the hospital, and the implied meaning behind "Imaginary Enemy."

Mine are usually late. Hell, this was actually was late but I've been so busy lately I didn't even notice. I got it on the 30th and usually i've had them come the 20th every month, give or take a few months where it came a day or two behind or before. But yeah, the 20th is my average arrival date for each mag.

it's on the shelves, i picked this up at b&n last night.

2 MISCARRIAGES?!?!?!? jesus christ. poor couple =(

but did i read it wrong, or did they basically say, "we tried to write music that more people would dig" ?

i don't like that at all. please, someone tell me i'm an idiot and that i interpreted it wrong.

i don't know, this album just isn't doing it for me like the first 2. even the artwork- esao said there were too many people involved and it was rushed and they went back to an early sketch they didn't originally like when they were crunched for time......

:/

I don't think they meant "More people can dig" but I felt it was more.. "The more people we can affect in some way."

People can relate to these lyrics easier than the previous 2, that is almost undeniable, but the lyrics all are heartfelt and meaningful. They aren't just written to please the listener. As Anthony stated himself, he's learned to find beauty in simplicity.

but did i read it wrong, or did they basically say, "we tried to write music that more people would dig" ?

i don't like that at all. please, someone tell me i'm an idiot and that i interpreted it wrong.

i don't know, this album just isn't doing it for me like the first 2. even the artwork- esao said there were too many people involved and it was rushed and they went back to an early sketch they didn't originally like when they were crunched for time......

I don't think it matter what they tried or didn't try to do. They've also said that they try to write music that they themselves like. It is what is. What they say they tried to do isn't going to change the sound.

I just think they realized how many people listen to their music.: a shitload. I'm sure being able to affect all those people is a crazy feeling and the fact the they wanted to reach out to as many people as they could is probably why they said that. I think it was honest and genuine, not some scheme to make more money or something like that.

But yeah the deadline thing with Esao does suck.. makes you wonder what else they could've had. But illustrators face that kind of problem a lot in their careers. That's just the kind of ish that takes place when you have too many ideas and not enough time to explore unfortunately.

The sentiment was shared within Circa, and that's why they signed to Atlantic in the spring of 2009 and decided to work with David Bottrill, a producer with a track record of taking unique, nearly niche bands and opening them up to the masses. "They have a fanbase that's already pretty strong, and we didn't want to alienate anybody," says Bottrill in a separate interview. "My goal was to take a really talented band to a wider audience. That's not to say we were dumbing anything down. I just wanted them to provide people with a few signposts that less ardent fans or someone just hearing them for the first time could grab onto."

:/ i know they have the best intentions but i'm selfish. i don't like that and i do feel a bit alienated. i know they're just trying to "reach" more people but i never thought this band would intentionally change their sound or choose a producer with that sort of reputation (of "opening bands to the masses"). i dunno.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.