Circa Survive Board
September

Circa Survive "Demos & Unreleased Material" Discussion

So... I'm a little confused about Handshakes at Sunrise, hopefully someone (probably September) could clear it up for me. Exactly how many versions of this song are there? Is the "second demo" the one on Inuit Sessions? Also, I can hear the obvious changes from the first demo, but is there a difference between the Inuit Sessions one and the EVR Summer Sampler one?
this song was recorded twice. the first being a home demo and the second recorded at skylight studio.

'handshakes at sunrise (first demo/early demo)' is the first recording of the song. it has colin playing drums on it.

it was leaked in may 2004 to the saoboard and has never appeared on any officially sanctioned comp or album.

as far as i know, only colin, anthony and brendan play on this recording.

im guessing that colin and anthony recorded it during late feb or march 2004, sent it to brendan for him to listen to

and he ended up recording guitar over it and sent it back to colin and ant. this is the only version or mix of this recording.

the second recording; this is where the confusion is. one recording. four releases. two mixes.

the other recording of this song was recorded at skylight studio sometime between april and early june 2004.

this recording has jon gartland on bass and t.j du blois on drums as well as colin, brendan and anthony.

'handshakes at sunrise (second demo)' leaked in mid june 2004 on the saoboard.

'handshakes at sunrise' was released on the evr summer sampler released in july 2004.

this version and the one leaked a month earlier (handshakes at sunrise (second demo)) seem to be identical

other than the differences in overall level and fidelity.

same recording, same mix.

handshakes at sunrise (alt version) was released on the evr winter sampler released in nov or dec 2004.

same recording, new mix.

the new mix seemed to have more clarity in the low end of the spectrum and the backup vocals seemed slightly more prominant.

this version is also known as 'winter mix' or '2nd mix'. the differences are slight to my ears.

i remember someone in the band chimed in about it on the first csboard in 2004, telling where the major differences were,

but i dont remember exactly and unfortunately, neither i nor the internet archived that information.

'handshakes at sunrise (demo)' was released on the inuit sessions ep during circa's first tour in feb 2005.

it seems that this version is the same as the alt version/winter mix released on the evr winter sampler a few months earlier.

if there are differences they aren't apparent to me.

And the acoustic version is just Colin playing it live, right?
yes, colin playing it solo at that bookstore in nyc in 2008 is the only acoustic version of handshakes i know of.

jzPkHjqsy5M

hey september, I remember asking you about this video awhile ago. I guess we finally have the demo now, thanks to the latest creature clubs release.

jzPkHjqsy5M

hey september, I remember asking you about this video awhile ago. I guess we finally have the demo now, thanks to the latest creature clubs release.

im pretty convinced that at least two demos of this song were made:

At A Loss (2008 Demo)

At A Loss (2009 Demo)

ssolata and disambiguation vids both showed the writing/recording of the 2008 demo. those vids were released in nov and dec 2008.

the bass and delay is more pominant. I really hope that we get to hear this version as well.

the 2009 demo that we just heard, has alot of differences in sounds, even beside the organ part. i feel like i don't even hear nick at all.

im liking the song, im just not feeling the mix as much as the clips from 2008.

At A Loss (2008 Demo)

At A Loss (2009 Demo)

ssolata and disambiguation vids both showed the writing/recording of the 2008 demo. those vids were released in nov and dec 2008.

the bass and delay is more pominant. I really hope that we get to hear this version as well.

the 2009 demo that we just heard, has alot of differences in sounds, even beside the organ part. i feel like i don't even hear nick at all.

I completely agree, I've been waiting for this song for this long and it really doesn't do it for me like the videos. Ant's vocals have a little more energy and they toned it down with the 2009 release, so idk. This must be the mellow version.

Hey, I don't meant to make any creatures angry, but you can just use a youtube mp3 converter (Search it up on Google) to get the At A Loss demo... if you want... :blowkiss:

hey buddy, we jammed on this as a whole band once but never recorded any bass or other stuff on it. the music is stuff i did myself at creek house one night and then anthony put vocals to it. we then re tracked vocals for it later on. it was an experiment to make something with no kick or bass when i wrote the music. i hope we play it live one day with bass and other goodies added. itd be fun.

At A Loss (2008 Demo)

At A Loss (2009 Demo)

hey buddy, we jammed on this as a whole band once but never recorded any bass or other stuff on it. the music is stuff i did myself at creek house one night and then anthony put vocals to it. we then re tracked vocals for it later on. it was an experiment to make something with no kick or bass when i wrote the music. i hope we play it live one day with bass and other goodies added. itd be fun.

shows what I know.

thanks for the info, colin. i hope you guys throw together a live rendition of it at some point.

so i guess what i thought was an early demo was simply a live version?

or people playing/singing over the drumtracks? idk.

what's happening in this vid?:

QryGUSaN37I

is that not bass in there? i hear vocals, drums, bass, guitar and organ. idk. confused. at a loss.

dear god, At A Loss is fucking gorgeous. That intro is EXACTLY, I mean EXACTLY my sweet spot in music. I swear to fucking god it's my soul.

shows what I know.

thanks for the info, colin. i hope you guys throw together a live rendition of it at some point.

so i guess what i thought was an early demo was simply a live version?

or people playing/singing over the drumtracks? idk.

what's happening in this vid?:

QryGUSaN37I

is that not bass in there? i hear vocals, drums, bass, guitar and organ. idk. confused. at a loss.

That video is basically us jamming on the idea that colin had written for the first time together as a whole band. Anthony is also just jamming on the song there. In this case the vocal melodies changed when we actually recorded them to the demo. The other video is me and anthony recording the vocals that you now have in the demo. There were never two demos though.

That video is basically us jamming on the idea that colin had written for the first time together as a whole band. Anthony is also just jamming on the song there. In this case the vocal melodies changed when we actually recorded them to the demo. The other video is me and anthony recording the vocals that you now have in the demo. There were never two demos though.
thanks alot for clearing that up.