Circa Survive Board
September

Circa Survive "Descensus" Discussion

Meh. Think I might care for it even less than VW, which is really depressing. Few AMAZING moments here and there but as a whole, just loses me.

None the less, solid effort boys. Do you.

Here's to waiting another few years.

Meh. Think I might care for it even less than VW, which is really depressing. Few AMAZING moments here and there but as a whole, just loses me.

this!

i have the seem feels. maybe cause im getting old? iono ahah

I think Anthony's loss of range brings it down, but I'm still pretty impressed. Need to definitely give it a couple more listens. Nesting Dolls is the best song on the album IMO

leak quality is BAD. but all the ideas are so wonderful.

I love the feeling and the flow of this one a lot.

EEEEK

& that whole ending is so audacious.

I didn't think music could make me go WTF anymore, but my boys pulled it off.

Also the lyrics are very peculiar. They both reach into this imagery-heavy stuff that reminds me of OLG, and he gets very personal, talking about marriage and consequences of choices, it's further into both realms.

This was the only Circa album that I had absolutely no expectations for. This is their worst album so far. There are 4 or 5 songs that are ok. I'll give it another listen when I get home later. The last song is so boring and long-drawn out.

This was the only Circa album that I had absolutely no expectations for. This is their worst album so far. There are 4 or 5 songs that are ok. I'll give it another listen when I get home later. The last song is so boring and long-drawn out.

I agree that the last song seems to be extended for no particular reason but this album is solid imo.

Then again I'm the guy that thinks circa can do no wrong.

Honestly, this album is just great. I like it for all the same reasons I like everything else they've done and it's the variety and the way they write such visual and heart felt music. Juturna and OLG are such priceless and beautiful albums but I would never want them, or any artist to write the same album twice or anything similar. I love how they really capture something special and different with each release. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion though and that's just my 2 cents.

Also, if anyone is curious the hot topic color way variant for descensus is actually clear w/ blue and white splatter. The marketer for hot topic confirmed it on vinyl collective. Will post the picture here when he does if anyone is interested :)

• Upvote 1

At the moment I think I feel this way, but once I get the CD and listen to in the car many a time, I hope to feel differently. Yesterday I didn't really like the song Descensus at all, but today I like it. The second half would be a good, sort of ambient Copeland song. Also, would have been sweet if Who Will Lie With Me Now was a full song.

At the moment I think I feel this way, but once I get the CD and listen to in the car many a time, I hope to feel differently. Yesterday I didn't really like the song Descensus at all, but today I like it. The second half would be a good, sort of ambient Copeland song. Also, would have been sweet if Who Will Lie With Me Now was a full song.

I think when you're already really invested in a band the new material is always a two-edged sword. People were saying the same things when OLG, BSN, and Violent Waves came out. While I think there's a ton to love about this new record, I think people waste a lot of mental energy trying gauge how much they "like" a new album. You already like the band, clearly, so just approach it as what it is... a new statement. Think about what it says and how it feels and not so much on whether its good or bad or you like it or don't. I think this album says a lot and tries so many interesting things, and that's what I really want out of a circa album. Just those crazy experiences and passion.

For me rock music in particular lacks a sense of adventure these days, but circa albums never do.

• Upvote 1

Will give an opinion later but the boys are on their 30s now and obviously in a more rockier stage.. This leads me to believe next album will be spacey but it took me awhile to digest vw. Just barel am I relating to songs off that album and it hits so damn hard emotionally.

i like the album. Not sure if i love it, but time will tell like it always does. I think this album has replay value so i'm stoked about that. The cool thing about this band is all the layers you can unfold with their songs. The first time i listen to a circa song is definitely not exactly like the last time. But yeah I'm happy for them. I think they did good and are making interesting rock music in an era that is really focused on repeating old tropes of past decades. I agree with Billy when he says it's adventurous for rock music. Definitely

oh and i really like Child of the Desert. Can't help but headbang near that outro. Fun :)

"Phantom" is so Crosses. Child of the Desert, Nesting Dolls, and Quiet Down are definitely my favorites so far.

Even at 160kbps, I can tell that the production of this album is much more balanced than VW. That was my main gripe from that album.

Also, Child of the Desert is pretty interesting time-signature wise. It starts 5/8, then at the end it is switching back and forth between phrases of 8 and 6.

This album is cool in that it combines many different genres/influences (prog, post-hardcore, post-rock, etc), but it's adhered with Circa's signature sound.

Steven Choi did mention in a tweet that he was featured on this album? Maybe they changed a name? Or they left it off the final release and it will be a b-side?

edit: also so far I like it but I'm also quite indifferent to it. I know I needed time to get into all of their albums (except for Blue Sky Noise and Appendage, I got into them right away and that's why I decided to try and get into the others as well, which worked wonderfully after I'd given them some time). My fav song so far is definitely that title track. I also love how much bass is on this album.

Steven Choi did mention in a tweet that he was featured on this album? Maybe they changed a name? Or they left it off the final release and it will be a b-side?

very interesting and weird.

ive never seen credits on the booklet for a song that wasnt part of the release.

you sure theres no hidden song anywhere on the disc? after the last song?

put it into a dvd player on your computer?

also maybe theres an extra song with the download link. idk.

very cool though. let me know if you find it. or if you dont.

i hope its somewhere.

btw. i love how the band is listed alphabetically by instrument.