Circa Survive Board
September

Circa Survive "Descensus" Discussion

the first 2/3rd of Jimi remind me of some of the darker exotic melodies and chord progressions on on letting go. (eg. kicking your cross down's verses)

also loving that guttural scream mixed with the guitars and bass. its used well there.

i think theres gonna be a dynamic build in the album version of this song that doesn't translate well in the bootleg vids.

the first 2/3rd of Jimi remind me of some of the darker exotic melodies and chord progressions on on letting go. (eg. kicking your cross down's verses)

also loving that guttural scream mixed with the guitars and bass. its used well there.

i think theres gonna be a dynamic build in the album version of this song that doesn't translate well in the bootleg vids.

I expect some crazy effects in the build up before the breakdown.. so excited for this album.. i wasn't really feeling the production of Violent waves.. which sucks because the songs were really solid

I hear a Every Time I Die esque riff at the end. Not sure how I feel haha

first song i searched for that band

Every Time I Die - Wanderlust lol

i wasn't really feeling the production of Violent waves.. which sucks because the songs were really solid

to each their own.

i remember that Violent Waves was originally going to be recorded in December 2011 in California by Failure frontman Ken Andrews.

i remember they wanted to try to capture the live sound of the band after their fall 2011 tour.

it fell through for whatever reasons and they decided on Studio 4 with Will Yip in the spring.

but i'm wondering if they wanted to depart from the over produced sound that they had with McTernan and Bottrill.

i remember Anthony saying something about producers being more concerned

about it sounding good to their other producer friends than the band or their fans.

alot of times major studios use alot of studio tricks like doubling/tripling parts and backmasking

that make the sound bigger and fuller but doesnt convey how the band sounds playing in a room together as well.

so i kinda feel like they needed a break from the super producer mentality and stressful tracking sessions and work with a 'down to earth' producer.

hence Violent Waves was a little more bare bones than the other records. less is more type of view perhaps. bred out of the 'live feel' idea.

I feel like this one has ramped up a bit compared to VW hence Yip calling LP5 a 'monster'. Maybe more layered guitars, synths, etc.

That would increase the mixing time as well. Sifting thru the parts so they sit well in the mix, enhancing it.

Also it seems like Yip is busier than he was in 2012 so the mixing process might take longer to complete.

idk. alot of speculation on my part. we shall see.

to each their own.

i remember that Violent Waves was originally going to be recorded in December 2011 in California by Failure frontman Ken Andrews.

i remember they wanted to try to capture the live sound of the band after their fall 2011 tour.

it fell through for whatever reasons and they decided on Studio 4 with Will Yip in the spring.

but i'm wondering if they wanted to depart from the over produced sound that they had with McTernan and Bottrill.

i remember Anthony saying something about producers being more concerned

about it sounding good to their other producer friends than the band or their fans.

alot of times major studios use alot of studio tricks like doubling/tripling parts and backmasking

that make the sound bigger and fuller but doesnt convey how the band sounds playing in a room together as well.

so i kinda feel like they needed a break from the super producer mentality and stressful tracking sessions and work with a 'down to earth' producer.

hence Violent Waves was a little more bare bones than the other records. less is more type of view perhaps. bred out of the 'live feel' idea.

I feel like this one has ramped up a bit compared to VW hence Yip calling LP5 a 'monster'. Maybe more layered guitars, synths, etc.

That would increase the mixing time as well. Sifting thru the parts so they sit well in the mix, enhancing it.

Also it seems like Yip is busier than he was in 2012 so the mixing process might take longer to complete.

idk. alot of speculation on my part. we shall see.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the idea of toning it down and trying to capture a more earthy vibe of the music.. the type of vibe you would get live. I just feel the way it was either mixed or something of the sort, made it hard to connect to the album as much as previous albums. I mean I saw them live on their VW tour and the songs are absolutely rocking live. I like VW a lot actually. I think they wanted to change it up after BSN, which imo is their biggest "over" produced album they have to date.

idk. i go thru phases. i appreciate big tones and subtle tones. they both have merit.

theres no perfect circa album for me. there are amazing moments and they have spanned all albums.

def very interested to see which way it will go this time around.

from the lil vid snippits revealed i can already tell there will be at least a few moments. i rest assured.

I loved the tones and production on the Salad Days stuff. Its so textured but subtle. It doesnt beat you over the head with loudness or try to be flashy in an immature way. Violent Waves more or less embodies these same characteristics. Im very optimistic about LP5's production. If that song they played live is any indicator, this album might really bring the textures.

I still think Juturna has their best production in every single regard except for percussion. dont think it would need any sort of remaster imho.

I was listening to Glorious Nosebleed the other day and noticed something new. During the "walk into the light" part theres layered faint echo-y background vocals that almost sound spoken that play simultaneously underneath the the lead vocals. That album has some serious depth. Also the production at the end of HoL is just god-tier

For me, Juturna and OLG have a best production until now... Circa Survive and Brian Mcternan are a amazing combination.... i hope that a day, Brian can produce some material again...

I would like to see Juturna remastered..

I think OLG is the best production wise.

LP5 is going to be a classic.

I still think Juturna has their best production in every single regard except for percussion. dont think it would need any sort of remaster imho.

I was listening to Glorious Nosebleed the other day and noticed something new. During the "walk into the light" part theres layered faint echo-y background vocals that almost sound spoken that play simultaneously underneath the the lead vocals. That album has some serious depth. Also the production at the end of HoL is just god-tier<br />

For me, Juturna and OLG have a best production until now... Circa Survive and Brian Mcternan are a amazing combination.... i hope that a day, Brian can produce some material again...

I was listening to Glorious Nosebleed the other day and noticed something new. During the "walk into the light" part theres layered faint echo-y background vocals that almost sound spoken that play simultaneously underneath the the lead vocals. That album has some serious depth. Also the production at the end of HoL is just god-tier

that is what scared me when i was shrooming, lol i literally had to stop playing it

that is what scared me when i was shrooming, lol i literally had to stop playing it

hahaha

I want to feel those holy shit moments again

so lp5 has to come out before the new tour they announced right?

the art work on that poster looks like it might be new album art to me

so lp5 has to come out before the new tour they announced right?

the art work on that poster looks like it might be new album art to me

im guessing next month?

im kinda guessing since sumerian has had pre-order issues in the past,

that maybe the lp5 pre-order bundles wont get announce until after vw deluxe has shipped.

but idk. who knows.

yeah it does look like that might be a lil tease of the cover art or maybe secondary album art.

it def looks a lil more busy than the other 4 lp's art.

"I absolutely, without a doubt know that anybody who’s an actual fan of Circa Survive is gonna fuckin’ be able to jerk off to this record." - Anthony Green

• Upvote 1

omfg i'm so excited for this piece, it's ridiculous. I'm finally starting to see a concept between all the album arts - makes me feel dumb all of a sudden

I see the violent waves girl *i think* in the poster, and the OLG balloon... anyone ever discuss the art work connections?

so were probably gonna hear another new song live this weekend when they play FMMF festival. saw they were playing that on their twitter but dont know what festival that is.

so were probably gonna hear another new song live this weekend when they play FMMF festival. saw they were playing that on their twitter but dont know what festival that is.

i hope you guys get a new one.

they usu pull off debut songs expertly.

FMMF = Fashion Meets Music Festival

yeah. i hadn't heard of it either.